Re-entering on advance parole

rgupta26

My i-484 is pending and I have H1B approval(I129) notice valid till 03/09/2006 but H1-B visa has been expired.I also have EAD which is expiring on 04/07/2005, I filled application to renewed my EAD and I have filing receipt. I have not used my EAD yet am still on H1. But I have advance parole which is valid. I have a question I am traveling abroad While re-entering
I will be having Approved I-129 (H1) and and Valid Advance Parole will that be enough to re-enter or if am entering on advance parole at that time do I need to have Valid EAD ?.

once you have applied for Adjustment of status H-1 is not valid. You have to work on your EAD. Advance parole is enough to return back, but you may have to go through secondary inspection at POE. Your having an approved H-1 is germane.

schandrag said:
once you have applied for Adjustment of status H-1 is not valid.

-- Not Correct. Your H1 will be still valid and it enables you to continue on H1b rather than AOS.

schandrag said:
You have to work on your EAD.

-- Again not correct. You can continue working on H1 as long as you are with the H1 sponsored employer.

schandrag said:
Advance parole is enough to return back, but you may have to go through secondary inspection at POE. Your having an approved H-1 is germane.

Incorrect for the third time. You can re-enter using your H1, if it is still valid.

I agree with schandrag. I beleive once you get EAD, it takes over H1 status , As you can't be in 2 different work permits at the same time.
pv1976, can you post some link to support your claim.??

qwertyisback said:
I agree with schandrag. I beleive once you get EAD, it takes over H1 status

Schandrag is incorrect. First, he stated that once the I-485 is applied, the H-1 becomes invalid. This is clearly incorrect, as valid H/L holders can continue to enter on the H/L instead of AP. If filing an I-485 canceled H-1 status, this would not be possible.

Second, merely obtaining an EAD does not invalidate the H-1. The only time when the EAD conflicts with the H-1 is when you use it to do something not permitted by your H-1 alone, like work for an employer who has not petitioned for an H-1 on your behalf.

I think having an to use an approved H1 to reenter the visa should be stamped on the passport.

Rgds,

Yeppo

yeppo said:
I think having an to use an approved H1 to reenter the visa should be stamped on the passport.

Unless you are visa-exempt then that is a pre-requisite of entry in H status, pending I-485 or not.

pv1976 said:
--
Incorrect for the third time. You can re-enter using your H1, if it is still valid.

Incorrect. I had a valid H1B and was on EAD/AP. I treid to re-enter in Newark through H1B, the officer denied entry and said that once I have EAD/AP, H1B is no longer valid. Luckily I was carrying my AP at that time and could re-enter using it. No questions asked in secondary inspection though.

manik_baasha said:
Incorrect. I had a valid H1B and was on EAD/AP. I treid to re-enter in Newark through H1B, the officer denied entry and said that once I have EAD/AP, H1B is no longer valid.

The officer was wrong, not pv1976.

manik_baasha said:
Incorrect. I had a valid H1B and was on EAD/AP. I treid to re-enter in Newark through H1B, the officer denied entry and said that once I have EAD/AP, H1B is no longer valid. Luckily I was carrying my AP at that time and could re-enter using it. No questions asked in secondary inspection though.

Agreed, I was told same thing by my lawyer, when I obtained my first EAD. Lawyer told me specifically that once you got EAD, you are nomore in H1 status and have to use EAD for all purpose wherever H1 is required.

qwertyisback said:
Agreed, I was told same thing by my lawyer, when I obtained my first EAD. Lawyer told me specifically that once you got EAD, you are nomore in H1 status and have to use EAD for all purpose wherever H1 is required.

Obtaining EAD will not invalidate H1, you can still use H1 to continue working, reentering US. Using EAD to work invalidates H1, and then you need to use AP for reentry.

Both moderators,
It was told to me by lawyer also Manik was told by CIS officer at port of entry.
Can you substantiate your argument with some evidence like CIS publication or link etc. Otherwise its just your opinion, and anybody will buy lawyer/POE officers words than you guys for sure.

:D :D

qwertyisback said:
i am surprised such an old non-issue is being discussed... here's the scoop: having an EAD and using an EAD to work are two different things. it is important to understand that when you apply for adjustment of status (AOS) for permanent residence, it confers upon you a status, called "adjustee" status, that is in addition to any other valid non-immigrant status you may have prior to such application, as long as that prior non-immigrant status is a recognized "dual-intent" status; in other words, filing your AOS does not invalidate your H or L status; it will invalidate your F or B status.

so if you are an H1B worker, you can continue to work and travel on your H1 status and visa. you may also apply for and receive an EAD and/or AP on the basis of your adjustee status, but that will NOT change your H1 status. if you actually USE your EAD status to work, that WILL invalidate your EAD status. here's how that happens:

1. if at your PRIMARY place of H1-based employment, you file a new form I-9 replacing H1B with EAD as your legal basis of employment, that will invalidate your H1 status.

2. if you find an additional job, including part-time or contract, on the basis of your EAD, any other H1 status is invalidated. if you have found an additional job on the basis of EAD, then you are legally required to update your I-9 record at your primary place of H1-based employment to change to EAD as well.

travelling:

if you have a valid H1 visa as well as an AP, you can use either to re-enter. if you use AP, it will NOT invalidate your H1 (only use of EAD does that).

here's a scenario:

let's say your H1 status and visa is about to expire. you have filed for an extension, and you decide to travel on the basis of your AP, since your H1 visa stamp will be past its validity date when you return. you can reenter on AP, then when your H1 extension or transfer has been approved, you can start working on it right away. if, for for the sake of argument, the use of AP had invalidated your H1 status, then the extension approval would also not have had any validity either. you would have had to apply for for a new H1, or work only on EAD. many people think that this is so; this used to be the case, but the erstwhile INS had changed the regulations in june 2000.

bottom line: the officer at the POE was wrong. that is hardly surprising: a lot of these minimum wage border officials are pretty ignorant of the law.

Chop,
Same q/s to you (which I asked moderators earlier), Do you have any CIS publication to support that theory. Just saying "the officer at the POE was wrong" is not enough, because they are the one whom everybody will be dealing with. If somebody follows your advice, he will be in trouble at POE and you can't just tell him that "You are wrong as stated by Pork and moderators on immigration forum". Will they buy this argument?? :D :D :D

qwertyisback said:
Chop,
Same q/s to you (which I asked moderators earlier), Do you have any CIS publication to support that theory. Just saying "the officer at the POE was wrong" is not enough, because they are the one whom everybody will be dealing with. If somebody follows your advice, he will be in trouble at POE and you can't just tell him that "You are wrong as stated by Pork and moderators on immigration forum". Will they buy this argument?? :D :D :D
i see you point... telling the POE officer that you got your law from some guy called pork chop is probably not going to be terribly impressive... let me see if i can find some stuff somewhere else on it... if so, i'll post the links, or maybe one of the moderators will do it.

porkchop
your post was good. I could not find this info on the uscis web site.
Do you have a link to a site that clarifies this.

qwertyisback said:
Do you have any CIS publication to support that theory. Just saying "the officer at the POE was wrong" is not enough, because they are the one whom everybody will be dealing with.

With respect, but the opposite is equally true. Where in the regulations does it say that the mere act of getting an EAD invalidates the H/L, or any other status? Attorneys and CBP inspectors make up all sorts of stuff in arcane areas of the law, too.

Let me give you a bit of history; not too long ago (say, 15 years) non-immigrant status meant exactly that, and after your filed your I-140 or I-485, you could not use any non-immigrant visa or status to re-enter the US. You *had* to use AP, since parole was the only way under the law that the POE could admit you.

The 1990 (or 1996) INA introduced the concept of explicit "dual intent" to H or L status, which basically meant that an H or L could not be denied solely due to the fact that the alien wished to immigrate. In around 1999 or 2000, INS made a regulation that eliminated the need for AP to be used on re-entry, and that if the alien could enter in H/L status that would be good enough. Even today, there is the odd POE inspector that doesn't know this because H/L holders are a small percentage of all individuals who enter with a pending I-485.

Now clearly, the I-485 does not cancel H or L status, since if it did the regulation allowing re-entry in H or L status would be utterly nonsensical. The only question we have left is if the mere issuance of an EAD revokes H/L status.

The only way status can be lost is if an alien does something that is in violation of the terms of that status. There's nothing that forbids H or L holders from obtaining an EAD; note that this is different from the fact that H or L holders (except L-2 spouses) cannot obtain an EAD solely based upon their status. Just by getting an EAD, you haven't violated your H or L status. An H-4 spouse can use his or her EAD to get an SSN; as that too is not a violation of H-4 status.

If the mere issuance of an EAD canceled all non-immigrant statuses, you would hear dozens and dozens of stories about EAD holders whose admittance on H/L visas was denied. You'd read memoranda from USCIS or CBP indicating that POE inspectors should check for the mere issuance of an EAD while determining an H/L holder's eligibility to re-enter.

And finally, if an EAD is somehow in violation of non-immigrant status, how come L-2, J-2 and E-2 spouses can apply for EADs using the same I-765 form with no loss of non-immigrant status, despite never having filed an I-485? :)

yeppo said:
Pls note last question. Though it does not talk specifically about the EAD it talks with reference to H1 and AP.

That's correct, but the unspoken assumption in that answer is "so long as the H-1 remains alive and has not been violated". There's a consensus that using the EAD violates the terms of the H-1; wether merely getting one does is the question at hand here.

Does obtaining an EAD violate H-4 status? How about L-2 status?

TheRealCanadian said:
Does obtaining an EAD violate H-4 status? How about L-2 status?

It does not violate, it preceds/overrides others H4/L2 status. So once you got EAD, thats what your current status is .(Not anymore H1/H4/L2). Thats what my lawyer told me and I beleive it as he is a lawyer.

Last edited by a moderator: