re-enter the USA with RTD and NP(no GC)

kaya14

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

Last week I re-entred the USA with RTD and NP after short 20days trip to visit my sister (not in COP).I have no GC yet(asylum status granted in March).
In JFK I was send to secondary inspection which started with the oficer stated (not asked!) that I went in COP. I told him that I didn't and the visa and stamps in my RTD showed it clearly. He made me feel like a criminal and te whole situation was pretty much intimidating.
Finally he put stamp in my RTD ,NP and I94 which reads"asylum status granted pursuant section 208(a) INA. Valid to Indef. Employment authorized.NYC JFK June2009"
Does it mean I need to start counting of 365 days to file 485 afresh?
Was it a bad idea to give him NP(I'm supposed to have RTD only when travel. Is it right?)
He didn't ask me how long I was out of the country. Will I need to add 20 days to 1year to fill 485?

Thanks a lot in advance.

PS: It's nice to be back.

You are fine, the stamp on your RTD is normal and every asylee gets that stamp upon entry to US. Don't worry about the intimidation/questioning part, that’s not normal but it happens.

Also if you haven’t renewed your NP then you are fine. If you renewed your NP then I would advise against travelling with it.

You shouldn't have shown your NP. Until you get your GC, it isn't advisable to show it. But, I don't think you have anything to worry about. You don't have to add 20 days to anything. You were just out of the country for 20 days.

kaya14
Hello everyone,

Last week I re-entred the USA with RTD and NP after short 20days trip to visit my sister (not in COP).I have no GC yet(asylum status granted in March).
In JFK I was send to secondary inspection which started with the oficer stated (not asked!) that I went in COP. I told him that I didn't and the visa and stamps in my RTD showed it clearly. He made me feel like a criminal and te whole situation was pretty much intimidating.
Finally he put stamp in my RTD ,NP and I94 which reads"asylum status granted pursuant section 208(a) INA. Valid to Indef. Employment authorized.NYC JFK June2009"
Does it mean I need to start counting of 365 days to file 485 afresh?
Was it a bad idea to give him NP(I'm supposed to have RTD only when travel. Is it right?)
He didn't ask me how long I was out of the country. Will I need to add 20 days to 1year to fill 485?

Thanks a lot in advance.

PS: It's nice to be back.

Sorry about this happening to you. I heard a very similar account form my ex, who travelled with RTD and nowhere near his COP. And this is the reason why I chose not to travel at all myself for over 10 years - it's too much stress and too humiliating. (Of course, not travel itself, rather dealing with officials and some of them are quite mean and, unfortunately, have the power to really complicate you life with no fault of yours). Luckily, I'm applying for citizenship next week! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Im planning to the same. Use NP + RTD (no GC) shall I only show them my RTD when I return back to US. Also will the officer look for any stamps on my RTD, since it will be on my NP, And will it create a problem If I just show them my RTD. Any advice pls? Thankyou

Im planning to the same. Use NP + RTD (no GC) shall I only show them my RTD when I return back to US. Also will the officer look for any stamps on my RTD, since it will be on my NP, And will it create a problem If I just show them my RTD. Any advice pls? Thankyou

Where are you planning on going that requires you to use your NP? I would suggest not using NP and RTD at the same time.

Only show them RTD. if they insist to see your NP, then give them NP.

Unfortunately there are a dozen of countries which do not recognize RTD and RP.

Guys, RTDs are to be used ON THEIR OWN. Do NOT show RTD + NP at the POE. RP + NP is fine. And, don't worry about travelling with an RTD. It's your right, and is perfectly legal, so don't lock yourself up in the country just because you're afraid of secondary inspection. I've travelled on RTD and RP before, and have never been sent to secondary.

i am not encourage anyone to go to COP, don't worry no one would go to COP after reading my comments. I wana make easy for him in compare with me.
RVT=RTd :) sorry .

the officer will not see at the stamps in you NP , he will see a white form that you will fill in the airplane.it has a question: in which country started your trip? you gana write the name of the country which you visited.

Guys, that prompts me to ask a very important question.
I am traveling abroad ( not cop but neighboring). I have my GC and RP . NP is expired. What document should i take with me, to insure a hassle free entry at POE.
BTW, reply from anyone with recent experience at LAX would be appreciated.

I am traveling abroad ( not cop but neighboring). I have my GC and RP . NP is expired. What document should i take with me, to insure a hassle free entry at POE.

You have nothing to worry about. At LAX you will get fingerprinted and your picture taken. The whole process should take 5 minutes.

just use your RP and GC, you will be fine

You should have documents demonstrating that you were in country whatever rather than your country of origin (hotel bills, credit care receipts etc). Save those documents even after you get home.

With the cookiemonsters of the world giving the government a big headache, you might be asked to show them at some point in the future.