Questions Related to Selective Service Registration

Hi Everyone,

While I was going through the Selective Service Registration thread, I got really confused, I was under the impression that anyone who is 26 and over at the time of GC approval date, they don't need to sign up for selective services.
Here is my case, when I entered the USA, I was 30 years, 9 months, and 9 days old. But at the time of my Green card approval, I was 34 years 10 months, and 13 days old.
According to what I read in the different forums, I was already above 31 years old while receiving a Green card and should not impact my N-400 application and interview which is in the next month.
Can you please make me clear on this part, whether I should provide any confirmation regarding the Selective Service registration? I just wanted to make sure, I am on the right track and will not ruin my interview just because of this matter.

I will appreciate the input and feedback.

Thanks
Shyam Kumar

Whether you were required to register and whether it affects your naturalization are two different things. It is not true that "anyone who is 26 and over at the time of GC approval date, they don't need to sign up for selective services". For example, someone who was male, between their 18th and 26th birthdays, and was in the US and out of status, would have been required to register for Selective Service. However, if they got their GC after their 26th birthday, that means they would be at least 31 (or 29 if applying under the 3-year rule) by the time they are eligible for naturalization, which means that failure to register does not affect their naturalization. However, they would still have to answer yes to the question on their N-400 that they were male between 18 and 26 in the US in a status other than valid nonimmigrant status. They would not need to provide any documentation since they are at least 31 (or 29).

On the other hand, from what you said, it sounds like you were never in the US in a status other than valid nonimmigrant status before your 26th birthday. If that's the case, you were never required to register, and you would answer no to the question on whether you were a male between 18 and 26 in the US in a status other than nonimmigrant status.

Whether you were required to register and whether it affects your naturalization are two different things. It is not true that "anyone who is 26 and over at the time of GC approval date, they don't need to sign up for selective services". For example, someone who was male, between their 18th and 26th birthdays, and was in the US and out of status, would have been required to register for Selective Service. However, if they got their GC after their 26th birthday, that means they would be at least 31 (or 29 if applying under the 3-year rule) by the time they are eligible for naturalization, which means that failure to register does not affect their naturalization. However, they would still have to answer yes to the question on their N-400 that they were male between 18 and 26 in the US in a status other than valid nonimmigrant status. They would not need to provide any documentation since they are at least 31 (or 29).

On the other hand, from what you said, it sounds like you were never in the US in a status other than valid nonimmigrant status before your 26th birthday. If that's the case, you were never required to register, and you would answer no to the question on whether you were a male between 18 and 26 in the US in a status other than nonimmigrant status.
Thank you newacct for clarifying my doubt and confusion regarding Selective Service registration. I can have a deep breath now.

Regards
Shyam Kumar