Questions Regarding Changing Employer

CanadianTNVisa

Hi all,

I'm a Canadian citizen working in the states on TN. I recently got a job offer from a new employer, and I'm planning to take the TN application documentation that their attorney provided to a POE next week to get a new TN. Timing wise I think this is appropriate because the start date for the new job is 2 weeks from now.

Issue is, I'd really like to keep the current TN for at least another week, so that I can still work for my current employer, give reasonable notice and not burn bridges. I did some research on this forum and found that it might be possible to obtain a new TN while keeping the old TN for a brief period. I'm still kind of nervous so I have a several questions and hope maybe some of you could answer:

1) What do I need to say to the CBP officer if I want to keep my current TN? Do I need to say anything at all or do I need to tell them that I want to keep my old TN for another week to wrap things up?

2) When they give me the new TN, would they take back the old TN visa slip (the one that I got when I visited the POE for my current job)? That would make me illegal to work for my current employer, right?

3) How likely is it for the CBP officer to say no to my request? If it unfortunately happens, should I go back on another day or should I visit a different POE? (I'm thinking of going to Peace Bridge btw)

Thank you so much!!!

1. You are allowed to have multiple TNs. So clearly inform the officer that you are requesting an additional TN. No Need to elaborate As to why and for how long.

2. Only if you let them take it. Don't let them.

3. You will get it, but in general You would go back another time to same place. Do not hop around the border.
And do not give notice until you get the second TN!

1. You are allowed to have multiple TNs. So clearly inform the officer that you are requesting an additional TN. No Need to elaborate As to why and for how long.

2. Only if you let them take it. Don't let them.

3. You will get it, but in general You would go back another time to same place. Do not hop around the border.
And do not give notice until you get the second TN!

Thank you so much Nelsona for your reply.