Questions from TN holder - my USC sister can file my GC!!

CanadaIndianGuy

Registered Users (C)
Hi ppl,

I am Canadian Citizen ( born in India) currently working in USA. My Sister has recently become US Citizen. Now, I have the following questions regarding my GC options:

1) My first option is :
a) As far as I know, it takes around 10-15 yrs to get a GC if my sister directly files for my GC. But, I also heard from someone that this period is recently reduced to like around 6 Yrs! Is this true??

b) If my sister files for my GC now, Can I still be eligible to work on TN status in USA ( as it is not supposed to be double intent status) until I receive my US GC?? In this case, is it possible that I may face a problem at Border during TN renewal time?

2) The Second option for me is, my Sister file for the GC of my parents. And then, my parents can file for my GC after they get their GC . Is this a fastest option??

3) Third option is , I need to convert my TN to H1 with my current company; and then apply for the GC thru Company. But, I would like to avoid this option , because I may get stuck to my current company until I get my GC.

Please try to answer, which could be my best option?? And also.. If I go for the first option, Can I still continue working on TN status in US??

Thanks a lot!!!!!

But, I also heard from someone that this period is recently reduced to like around 6 Yrs! Is this true??

No. The wait time for FB4-India is 11 years and four months.

In this case, is it possible that I may face a problem at Border during TN renewal time?

While CBP has been instructed not to deny TN applications solely because of a filed or approved I-130/I-140, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable doing this for 11 years.

And then, my parents can file for my GC after they get their GC.

Only if you are unmarried. Then you fall under FB2B-India, which has a wait of just under 10 years. It is faster, but not by much.

But, I would like to avoid this option , because I may get stuck to my current company until I get my GC.

While that is broadly true, EB3-India is six years, and EB2-India is just over 3 years. You do the math. ;)

Thanks for your reply..

I apologise for the late response. I truely appreciate your reply!!!
I will probably try for either H1 to GC Or will inquire about TN to GC procedure.

thanks!