Minty8

Hello all,

I have a question about applying for a TN Visa under a scientific technician. I am currently on a TN visa for a "Metallurgical Technician" for Company A. I will be accepting a job with Company B for the same position/title ("Metallurgical Technician"). I am changing companies due to I will be able to use my skills as a geochemist more in this new position. I did have a little bit of trouble at the Port of Entry when I applied for the first TN visa but that was partially from a poorly written application/employment letter from my previous employer.

I have almost a year of experience as a Metallurgical Technician from Company A as well as a Bachelors degree of science in Geology with a specialty in geochemistry.

I know that to be considered for this category, I have to work under professionals with degrees in certain fields (in this case it would be a combination of chemistry, geology, engineering/metallurgy). I will be working under the supervisor of professionals with those credentials. Does the names of those I will be working under and their qualifications have to be in the letter?

My question is, am I eligible for a TN visa under the "Scientific Technician" category? If I am, how can I make it so I don't have any issues at the border this time?

I apologize for the long post.

Since you qualified before, I see no issue with you being able to qualify again. As you suspected, when applying as a SciTech, you are in essence submitting qualifications fpr both YOU, and your direct supervisor.

But, SciTech is generally used by those WITHOUT a degree in a TN category, and is, as you saw, highly scrutinized. Geologist is such a valid TN category on its own, and you have a Geology degree. So why are your current and new sponsors not simply hiring you as a Geologist? Then you wouldn't have to bother with proving the credentials of your boss.

Is it because your job(s) are not "purely" that of a geologist? That may not be completely necessary in order to still get a Geologist TN.

Thank you for getting back to me!

You are correct in your assumption. The jobs aren't purely that of a geologist. The job is kind of mesh between a geochemist and a chemical engineer/metallurgist.

I spend most (if not all) all of my time in a laboratory setting working with smaller samples to do chemical testing on them. When I am not doing that, I will be writing technical reports.

Do you think that could still be written into a geologist/Geochemist TN visa?

No, if you are content with that category, and you have a qualified superior, I would stick with that.

Yes, I will be working under supervisors with degrees in the field.

Is there anything I can do to make it easier at the border this time around?

Treat your petition as if both you (SciTech) and your supervisor (his profession) are applying for TN. Your letter should outline his quals.

Treat your petition as if both you (SciTech) and your supervisor (his profession) are applying for TN. Your letter should outline his quals.

Both of my supervisors have at least a bachelors degree of science in a related field, and one has a masters degree in a related field. Will that be enough to prove that they are professionals?

I apologize for the two separate comments, but I also forgot to mention that I have their resumes that outlines their skills and experience in the field. With both of those things, will that be enough to prove that they are professionals in the field?

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to update about my visa and maybe it will help someone in the future. I had no issues at the border. I showed up with the following:
- Employment letter
- Passport
- A detailed outline of my job duties
- Both of my supervisors resumes and a copy of their degrees
- My own resume
- My university degree (original copy)
- University transcript

I was not asked any questions about the job, where I would be living, or my Canadian ties. The only thing that the CBP office said was that next time the letter should be written to the customs and border control rather than to me.

thanks for posting an update @Minty8
As long a you and the job meet the requirements, you have a properly prepared petition, TN status is easy to obtain.
Most posts are from people having difficulty, great to hear from someone that obtained TN status successfully for the second time.

Note, one does not need to show Canadian ties when on TN status. The expectation is you will be living in the US for the duration of the TN. (when requesting B1 or B2 status you will likely need to show Canadian ties).