Questions about Experience Letters

TN_gotcha

Hi there

I am in final stage of job offer with a US employer, and will have to apply for the TN visa. My previous employer is not very friendly, besides we did not part on a very good term, so not sure if I will get anything from them. I have been with my current employer for little less than 4 years. They are good and are a big firm with well defined HR practices in place, so would be able to provide the employment letter, but I may end up exposing myself in case my TN gets rejected

Few questions
1) Do I have to show employment letter from the current employer?
2) Since my previous job was almost 4 years ago, do I need to show experience letter from my previous employer as well?

Please help.

You do not need to show proof of any previous employment, resume, etc, , since you are undoubtedly applying based solely on your education, ie, bachelor's degree

You do not need to show proof of any previous employment, resume, etc, , since you are undoubtedly applying based solely on your education, ie, bachelor's degree
Thank you so much for your reply. Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have been working as Sr Data Scientist, have an MBA but no degree in Statistics or Data Science. How does it work out in that case.

What TN category are you applying under. This is a basic first step: Your degree and the job need to match a specific category.

Hi Nelsona

Thank you for your patience. And I know I sound dumb when I say that I dont know the category because my new employer will be doing the paper work. It is a Fortune 100 company. All I am doing is just being proactive. My guess for the category would be Mathematician / Statistician.

Also, I have a bachelors degree in computer science, if that helps.

So you will have the tough time of linking the job to your education. Good luck.
Lol. Appreciate the frankness and sorry for the delay in replying. So, would I need experience letters to prove my expertise? If so, for how many years in the past?

NO! You need education that matches your job description. Experience doesn't count to obtain TN, except in specific categories, when you don't have the bachelor's degree, but you have a diploma. Mathematician doesn't have such an option.

If your job is really Computer Systems Analyst, then there is an option for diploma + experience, but you have the degree and no diploma, so you don't need and can't use experience letters.

In other words, forget the notion of experience being able to get you a TN. Focus on demonstrating how your previous education matches the job description and TN category that you are requesting.

Thank you so much for taking your time to "educate". Sincerely appreciate it. Not very encouraging, but it is what it is. Once again a very big "THANK YOU".