Question regarding extension of VISA in OPT

sairajan

Dear Sir,

I am finishing my doctoral studies and my I-20 expires on 01/31/2013. My VISA expires on 12/12/12. I have currently applied for OPT last week. I have a job offer. Can I extend my VISA using the OPT I-20. I am yet to receive the OPT card.

I understand that I have to extend my VISA by going out of country. I am planning to go to US consulate in Montreal, Canada. Please advice.

Dear Sir,

I am finishing my doctoral studies and my I-20 expires on 01/31/2013. My VISA expires on 12/12/12. I have currently applied for OPT last week. I have a job offer. Can I extend my VISA using the OPT I-20. I am yet to receive the OPT card.

I understand that I have to extend my VISA by going out of country. I am planning to go to US consulate in Montreal, Canada. Please advice.

Hi,

The OPT allows you to stay legally in the country for a year at least. You get a EAD card. The great news is that you have a job lined up already. You should have 2 months of grace period after your graduation date, thats common for everyone. You don't get any VISA extension, you either try to secure H1 B visa from your employer, or get your EAD renewed after a year.