Question on working for American company on home country

marlon2006

Registered Users (C)
I will complete 5 years on greencard status in 3 years from now.

My goal:eek:nce get the US citinzenship, go back to home country to spend time with aging parents.

Question:

a) If I get a job with an American company with offices in my home country now (imagine I apply for job in my home country, no intervention from the US headquarter), can I go to home country now and benefit from the document which keeps my greencard status and count toward citizenship? Do I need intervention from the company HR?

b) or if I want to benefit from such status which keeps your US immigration status while abroad I need to apply for the job in the US and then get a transfer to the home country? That is way more complicated.

Please advise.

I expect (a) would be more problematic, as that shows an intent to actually move overseas. You'd be applying for the foreign job with your own initiative, rather than the US company sending you to the foreign location.

But in either case, if you are able to get an N-470 approved your time outside the US will count towards citizenship.

I do not think that finding a job from branch overseas will work. From reading the N-470 it is clear that company will need to send worker oversea.

The problem is that my life priorities and success progress way faster than this ridiculuous greencard and citizenship process.

I do not think that finding a job from branch overseas will work. From reading the N-470 it is clear that company will need to send worker oversea.

The problem is that my life priorities and success progress way faster than this ridiculuous greencard and citizenship process.

I would hardly call the US wanting to grant citizenship only to those that have a bonafide intent to, for the most part reside in the US, ridiculous.

US Citizenship is not granted to you as a backup plan, nor as a reward for having worked here. It seems many people from overseas think it is. Personally, I think it's to be able to say that you are now, an American.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, have a nice day.
I would hardly call the US wanting to grant citizenship only to those that have a bonafide intent to, for the most part reside in the US, ridiculous.

US Citizenship is not granted to you as a backup plan, nor as a reward for having worked here. It seems many people from overseas think it is. Personally, I think it's to be able to say that you are now, an American.