Question on traffic ticket

beeraye

I had got a ticket for going over 20+ posted limit in VA about 5 & half years ago. So it was a reckless driving ticket. I got a lawyer and went to court. My ticket got reduced to speeding and I paid the fine of $250-$300 and some court fees. I still have the receipt.

This question might have been asked many times but I could not find an answer I am looking for.

1 What exactly do I mention in form N400 in the explanation field ? and what all do I have to do? I know I have to mention it in the N400 form and I will mention it. Its just the amount of details/words that I should put in so it doesn't look bad.

2. Do I have to write down entire description of original ticket and court and lawyer and reduced charge to infraction?

3. I just have receipt of paid fine. Do I have to get certified copy , if yes , how do I get it?

I am stuck in this. If someone knows please help.

Thanks

It was over 5 years . Do you have to mention it ? No!
should you mention it ? That would be up to you
if you did mention it , nothing would become of it as far as negatively affecting your application. Hope that helps

Thanks Jbuff.

Can someone provide another opinion? I am planning to mention it. If I do, what documents do I need to submit and what details I need to put in the form?

Have you “ever” received a citation means exactly that - you have to mention it. Explanation can be as simple as paid a $250 dollar fine for speeding which would be the truth since that was the final result. It would not matter since a) it was over 5 years ago so beyond GMC look back time. b) usually traffic tickets below $500 are infractions and don’t matter for naturalization purposes unless someone had obnoxiously large number of them. Receipt should be fine and it’s unlikely to be asked since it was 5 years ago but just keep it with you at the interview.