Question on re-entry permit


New Member
Hi folks
Glad to see this forum. My kid got green card in US and is interested in applying for universities in Canada. So I am wondering in this case what's the best option to maintain her lawful permanent resident status in US.

I understand an re-entry permit may be required. The tricky question is: if she attends US with family in each vacations (summer, sprint, winter) and some long weekends every year. Though her spends more than 180 days in Canada, but she access US every few months, does she still need re-entry permit to maintain her PR status?



Well-Known Member
It would fall under the “better safe than sorry” category in case she gets challenged on why she’s spending so much time (more than half a year annually) outside the US.