question on I-864 Affidavit of support

michaelofiuka

Registered Users (C)
Hello to all,
I have a question about my I-864. I am a disabled vetran (USC), and married my wife in China on Dec. 8th 2010. She is still in China and working. My income consists of SSI disability, Postal disability annuity, and VA disability. When all is added together i bring in 50K a year. ( have been diabled for more than 10 yrs.)
My question is this: Being as my VA disability is tax free income and does not show up on my taxes (but I have a letter from VA stating my monthly income), will I need a co-sponsor, or will my current income be considered sufficient? Will my SSI disability income count towards proof of income?

This hole process is very new to me and very confusing.
Thanks for any input i can get.

No, you do not need a joint sponsor. Submit proof of your income in whatever form is provided to you by the Federal agencies that remit it to you. Regular SSI, which is NOT based on your contributions over the years would not count but a SS Disability income would. You need to determine precisely the correct classification of that SSA benefit. Even if THAT one does not count, you probably still meet the income requirements according to the I-864P guidelines.

Does Receipt of Means-Tested Public Benefits Disqualify me From being a Sponsor?

No. Receipt of means-tested public benefits does not disqualify anyone from being a sponsor. However, means-tested public benefits cannot be accepted as income for the purposes of meeting the income requirement.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you do not need a joint sponsor. Submit proof of your income in whatever form is provided to you by the Federal agencies that remit it to you. Regular SSI, which is NOT based on your contributions over the years would not count but a SS Disability income would. You need to determine precisely the correct classification of that SSA benefit. Even if THAT one does not count, you probably still meet the income requirements according to the I-864P guidelines.

Does Receipt of Means-Tested Public Benefits Disqualify me From being a Sponsor?

No. Receipt of means-tested public benefits does not disqualify anyone from being a sponsor. However, means-tested public benefits cannot be accepted as income for the purposes of meeting the income requirement.

Hey BigJoe5, I have a related question - I am retired living on SS which is enough to qualify me as a sponsor, and I have listed that amount on form I-864, #7 & #20 as my current individual annual income. However, under the next section - Federal Income Tax Return Information - it asks me to list my adjusted gross income for each of the last 3 years. Only the taxable portion of the SS flows through to AGI, and that was zero for the last couple of years. How do I handle this? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Hey BigJoe5, I have a related question - I am retired living on SS which is enough to qualify me as a sponsor, and I have listed that amount on form I-864, #7 & #20 as my current individual annual income. However, under the next section - Federal Income Tax Return Information - it asks me to list my adjusted gross income for each of the last 3 years. Only the taxable portion of the SS flows through to AGI, and that was zero for the last couple of years. How do I handle this? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
This is a 9-year old thread. Also, it is "total income", not adjusted gross income (although the two are the same in most cases). Just enter the exact number from the "total income" income line from your tax returns of the last 3 years, like it says. It doesn't have to match your current income.

This is a 9-year old thread. Also, it is "total income", not adjusted gross income (although the two are the same in most cases). Just enter the exact number from the "total income" income line from your tax returns of the last 3 years, like it says. It doesn't have to match your current income.

Duly noted, but this still seemed like a good place to post my question, and thanks for your answer. I do see that the table for #24 a, b & c lists the amount to be entered as "total income", but the instructions just above the table says it should be AGI on form 1040. The total income line - 7b - on my 2019 1040-SR also excludes the non-taxable portion of SS. Thanks again for your help.

Duly noted, but this still seemed like a good place to post my question, and thanks for your answer. I do see that the table for #24 a, b & c lists the amount to be entered as "total income", but the instructions just above the table says it should be AGI on form 1040. The total income line - 7b - on my 2019 1040-SR also excludes the non-taxable portion of SS. Thanks again for your help.
It's the "total income" line from forms 1040 and 1040A (and the new 1040-SR). It's the "adjusted gross income" line on form 1040EZ, since that form doesn't have a separate "total income" line, and adjusted gross income is the same as total income for 1040EZ filers since they cannot have adjustments. For 2018 and later, there is no 1040EZ anyway.

Thanks again, but, as I noted in my question, "total income" on 1040-SR excludes the non-taxable portion of SS - which is all of my income. Guess I'll just have to write a note in Section 11 in an attempt to explain.