Question on Good Moral Character

Vishnu2003

Registered Users (C)
I have a question on the N-400 application. This is question on Part D and Question#16

Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

I got a speeding ticket and also I was asked to be present before the court for not obtaining the state of CA drivers license within 5 months of my residence in CA. I had the previous state license though. I got the new CA license in the mean time and submitted in the court and the case was dismissed and I had to just pay for my speeding ticket. Should I declare this in N-400, This happed before I got my GC and happend 6 years ago.

Vishnu2003 said:
I have a question on the N-400 application. This is question on Part D and Question#16

Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

I got a speeding ticket and also I was asked to be present before the court for not obtaining the state of CA drivers license within 5 months of my residence in CA. I had the previous state license though. I got the new CA license in the mean time and submitted in the court and the case was dismissed and I had to just pay for my speeding ticket. Should I declare this in N-400, This happed before I got my GC and happend 6 years ago.
Yes declare it on the N-400. However BEFORE you fill out you N-400 collect all the documentation (You may have to contact the court to get Certified Disposition).

Fill out N-400 and declare it. No need to send the documentation along with N-400. Take it for the Interview and present it only if asked.

There is a lot of confusion regarding this issue. Some choose to declare it and some don't. Some lawyers recommend declaring it and others recommend against it.

My advice: Declare all tickets and take the documentation to the Interview.

There's a thread going on today on this forum about traffic tickets. Read it - there's no need to start another one here. No one agrees what they *really* want you do to. Read the thread and you decide.

I have the same situation as yours except the cop did not give me speeding ticket even though I was speeding, but asked me to change my licence and address to CA from the other State and go to court and submit the docs. This happened in 2001 and I have all the Originals.

I mentioned this in the N-400 and also submitted the docs. Will take the Originals to the Interview.

Thanks for the inputs.

rjo1,
What did you mention in your application? I too have the originals, the notice I got to appear on the court says :

Basic Speed Law
Unlicensed operator

I was operating with old state license, Do I have to declare both or should I just say it was a speeding ticket, would it cause any confusion declaring both? Please advice.

I got another parking ticket recently but that got dismissed, Should I declare this as well?

Thanks a lot

You have to say what it says on the Citation, but simplify it -
Column 1 - Traffic Ticket (Out of State Licence, Speeding)
Column 2 - Date
Column 3 - City, State
Column 4 - Paid Fine, Dismissed, Updated Address in DMV, Applied for CA Licence, Traffic School as applicable

No need to mention Parking Ticket unless you were Citied for it.

I talked to the traffic court clerk and they were able to locate my Citation and checked and made sure the records are clean. I asked about the Certified disposition, he said that the case is closed and If I need any record I need to get a report from DMV. Is that correct? Is the certified Disposition be issued by DMV?

Thanks again

You might already know this, but the instructions on this matter are contradictory.

A) Refer to page 49 (?) in the Document Checklist section in the link:
http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476_English.pdf

B) Now, refer to the instructions in the link:
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/n-400ins.pdf

- If we treat A as authoritative, we should send documentation in all cases of traffic violations. There is no exception made for non-DUI or under $500 fines.

- If we treat B as authoritative, then we don't need to submit documentation for non-DUI and fines under $500. BUT NOTE THAT the instructions in B also refer to the document in A :D

My above statements may cause an uproar, but I wanted to mention what I found. Most people seem to follow B by default. The choice is yours. This is not legal advice.

Regards.

Sammy