Question on EAD Renewal

venkat04

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,
My current EAD is expiring in 30 days from now. Currently I am in 7th H1-B and it is valid until Jun-05. I am not using my EAD. However, I want to use it after expiration of my 7th H1-B. Please see below for my case details.

Do I need to renew my EAD before EAD1 expiration?
Can I apply for renewal 3 or 4 months before my H1 expiries?
Appreciate your advice. Thanks.

venkat04 said:
Do I need to renew my EAD before EAD1 expiration?
Not necessary. If you are sure that you'll have ur H1 till you get your renewal approved, you are safe.

venkat04 said:
Can I apply for renewal 3 or 4 months before my H1 expiries?
The EAD renewal normally takes 2-4 months. So, thats a good estimate. But, you could apply for renewal atleast 6 months before your previous EAD expire. Just fyi.

pv1976 said:
But, you could apply for renewal atleast 6 months before your previous EAD expire. Just fyi.

Thanks PV1976.

My EAD1 is expitring in Dec-04. So I can't apply for EAD2(renewal) after six months, that is after Jun-05. Is that correct?

My EAD1 is expiring in Dec-04, H1 is expring Jun-05. I am planning to apply for EAD2 in March-05. So I will be safe. Correct?

venkat04 said:
Thanks PV1976.

My EAD1 is expitring in Dec-04. So I can't apply for EAD2(renewal) after six months, that is after Jun-05. Is that correct?

My EAD1 is expiring in Dec-04, H1 is expring Jun-05. I am planning to apply for EAD2 in March-05. So I will be safe. Correct?

I think you got it wrong. If your EAD1 is expiring in Dec04, you could've applied for your EAD2 starting back in Jun 04. Right now, you are eligible to apply for your EAD2.
But, if you are planning to continue on your H1, and that you are absolutely sure that you would be holding on to your H1 till June, then you may apply in your EAD sometime in Jan05.

If I were you, i would've applied for my EAD2 by now (even if i had a valid H1).