Question on citizen sponsoring parents' GC: medical, interview, etc

ad-hoc

Registered Users (C)
1) would the supporting documents need to be certified/notarized
copies? the instruction just stated 'copies'...

2) would they be requried for an interview? they are on B2-visa in the
states already

3) if so, would the sponsor also be required for the interview? If it's
not required, is the sponsor allowed to go with them? can the sponsor be the translator or one will be provided?

4) what sort of questions are likely to be asked?

5) does each of them need a separate application package (i.e., i-130,
i-485, etc)? would they then get separate/different interview date/time?

6) the i-485 says that if you are filing locally, then don't submit medical exam documents, what does this mean? what if the medical exam is done already, and can it be submitted together with the package?

thanks.

hmm, guess no one had any prior experience on this?

or this belongs to FAQ somewhere? thanks.

If the document was issued in United States and is written in English, then just a photocopy is OK.
If the document was issued in a country other then USA and needs a translation, then along with the photocopy of the original document provide a certified and notarized translation.

2)would they be required for an interview? they are on B2-visa in the states already
Yes.

not required, is the sponsor allowed to go with them? can the sponsor be the translator or one will be provided?
You can go with your parents even if INS don’t call you for the interview. INS does not provide translators. You have to bring your own. You can be a translator for your parents, if you wish and if you fluent enough in English. You do not have to be a “certified translator” for that at all.

4) What sort of questions are likely to be asked?
I do not have a personal experience with that. Advice you to search this forum for a similar topics. Type you query in the Search field above. I’m sure there were other people here sponsoring their parents.

You must file a separate petition for each parent. File them at the same time. INS usually calls member of the same family, who immigrates together, at the same interview.

6) the i-485 says that if you are filing locally, then don't submit medical exam documents, what does this mean? what if the medical exam is done already, and can it be submitted together with the package?
The medical result expire after 12 month and because of the current backlog in many INS offices they do not require to provide your medical examination form along with I-485 anymore. INS local office will send you a separate notice closer to the Interview date asking about it.

If your parent already have their medical done then go ahead - include it if the package and see what happens. There were cases on this forum when INS didn’t ask for renewed medical even after first one was expired already.
The worse case scenario for your parents would be the INS asking to repeat the med. exam.

some followup questions

Thanks Jane, some followup questions:

Jane Green said:
If the document was issued in United States and is written in English, then just a photocopy is OK.
If the document was issued in a country other then USA and needs a translation, then along with the photocopy of the original document provide a certified and notarized translation.

What if the document was issued in a country other then USA, but the document was issued with English-translation (and certerfied by a notary public at that country), does it still needs to be translated and certified here?

2)would they be required for an interview? they are on B2-visa in the states already
Yes.

You can go with your parents even if INS don’t call you for the interview. INS does not provide translators. You have to bring your own. You can be a translator for your parents, if you wish and if you fluent enough in English. You do not have to be a “certified translator” for that at all.

So what's the norm? that is, will the sponsor be called for the interview or not? I assume that this will noted in the interview letter? If i can't be there, will any one that I trust do? or they have to some one related to the parents?

4) What sort of questions are likely to be asked?
I do not have a personal experience with that. Advice you to search this forum for a similar topics. Type you query in the Search field above. I’m sure there were other people here sponsoring their parents.

You must file a separate petition for each parent. File them at the same time. INS usually calls member of the same family, who immigrates together, at the same interview.

The medical result expire after 12 month and because of the current backlog in many INS offices they do not require to provide your medical examination form along with I-485 anymore. INS local office will send you a separate notice closer to the Interview date asking about it.

If your parent already have their medical done then go ahead - include it if the package and see what happens. There were cases on this forum when INS didn’t ask for renewed medical even after first one was expired already.
The worse case scenario for your parents would be the INS asking to repeat the med. exam.

What if the document was issued in a country other then USA, but the document was issued with English-translation (and certerfied by a notary public at that country), does it still needs to be translated and certified here?
This is a trick question... :confused: Is the notary’s stamp on the translation in English?
Please try this number: 1 (800) 375-5283. They might be able to tell you.

So what's the norm? that is, will the sponsor be called for the interview or not? I assume that this will noted in the interview letter? If i can't be there, will any one that I trust do? or they have to some one related to the parents?
INS usually puts a line on their interview letters informing people to bring their own translator if they need one. Anyone you know and trust can go with your parents.
INS will swear him/her to tell the truth and that’s all.

thanks Jane, a clarification

Jane Green said:
This is a trick question... :confused: Is the notary’s stamp on the translation in English?
Please try this number: 1 (800) 375-5283. They might be able to tell you.
Yes, the notary's stamp/signature are both in english (translated) and in the original language.

INS usually puts a line on their interview letters informing people to bring their own translator if they need one. Anyone you know and trust can go with your parents.
INS will swear him/her to tell the truth and that’s all.
So INS usually don't require the sponsor to be there i guess. This is different from the marriage case, where the citizen is usually required to be there.