• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Question level of education DV-2021

vincee

Hello,

I have a question regarding the selection of my level of education, as of today. I'm a graduated Bachelor's who is pursuing a Master's degree on top of it. Should I select:
- University Degree
or
- Some graduate level courses?

Thanks for taking your time!

Educational level makes no difference to the selection process, pick whichever you’re comfortable with.

Some graduate courses, assuming you have actually completed some of the masters courses, otherwise university degree.

Hello all, i have question, i vocational high school degree in Indonesia,
Can i apply the lottery?
Thanks

Hello all, i have question, i vocational high school degree in Indonesia,
Can i apply the lottery?
Thanks

Vocational high schools unfortunately do not normally qualify, it needs to be a high school qualification that by itself would allow you to start university in the US.

From the manual that the officers use:
https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050206.html

High School Education or Equivalent:

(1) (U) You must adjudicate the applicant’s qualifications under this requirement. In order to enter or apply for a visa under the DV program, the alien need not prove that this requirement is met. The applicant must, however, meet this requirement by the end of the fiscal year in which selected and present evidence of completion to the satisfaction of the consular officer. If the applicant does not meet the requirement at the time of the visa interview, you should refuse the case under INA 212 (a)(5)(A). If the applicant presents evidence of completion of high school before the end of the fiscal year, and visas are still available for the region, you may overcome the refusal.

(2) (U) “At Least a High School Education or its Equivalent” Means Successful Completion of at least a:

(a) (U) Twelve-year course of elementary and secondary study in the United States; or

(b) (U) Formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to completion of 12 years of elementary and secondary education in the United States. Because a United States high school education is sufficient in itself to qualify a student to apply for college admission, in order for a foreign education to be equivalent to a United States education, it should be sufficient to allow a student to apply for college admission without further education. Vocational degrees that are not considered a basis for further academic study will not be considered equivalent to United States high school education.

(3) (U) Education Requirements: “At least a high school education or its equivalent” in this context applies only to formal courses of study. Equivalency certificates (such as the G.E.D.) are not acceptable. To qualify, an alien must have completed a 12-year course of elementary and secondary education in the United States or a comparable course of study in another country. Evidence might consist of a certificate of completion equivalent to a United States diploma, school transcripts, or other evidence issued by the person or organization responsible for maintaining such records, which specify the completed course of study.

(4) (U) Education Evaluation:

(U) The burden of proving that an applicant's education is equivalent to a high school degree is entirely on the applicant. If the applicant does not satisfy you that the applicant's education is equivalent to a high school degree but you believe additional evidence could meet the applicant's burden, you should refuse the applicant under 221(g) and request the applicant to provide additional information. If the applicant is unable to credibly prove the education equivalency requirement to your satisfaction, you should refuse the applicant 5A.

Hello,

I have a question regarding the education equivalency;
i. I have completed my O Levels (Ordinary Levels, known as Form IV) education in Tanzania
ii. I opted for the UK A levels instead of the Tanzanian one and completed the 1st year only (AS Level) with 4 subjects
iii. Joined University in Malaysia and attended a 1 Year Pre-Uni course (later completing my Bachelors degree)

However as the main prerequisite is completing 12 years of high school, would my above history suffice or not?

Thank you.

Hello,

I have a question regarding the education equivalency;
i. I have completed my O Levels (Ordinary Levels, known as Form IV) education in Tanzania
ii. I opted for the UK A levels instead of the Tanzanian one and completed the 1st year only (AS Level) with 4 subjects
iii. Joined University in Malaysia and attended a 1 Year Pre-Uni course (later completing my Bachelors degree)

However as the main prerequisite is completing 12 years of high school, would my above history suffice or not?

Thank you.
From my point view of image I think your case is just little complicated, you Don't qualify with your bachelor degree instead you suppose to have a high school diploma ( means form six here in Tanzania or diploma ) which will allow you to be adimited in us University, So if you don't have high school diploma I get nervous to conclude in your situation, I think we should wait some recommendations from our moderators.

For the sake of asking, rather then arguing

High school in USA don't require additional education to be admitted into university, however, vocational does

In Indonesia, vocational high school graduate don't require further education to be admitted into university

Am I right to say that, as long as the vocational high school in Indonesia, may be qualified, as long as one can provide evidence for their further education? (college/university)

Thanks

The official instructions state the following;

A “high school education or equivalent” is defined as successful completion of a 12-year course of elementary and secondary education in the United States OR the successful completion in another country of a formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to a high school education in the United States. Only formal courses of study meet this requirement; correspondence programs or equivalency certificates (such as the General Equivalency Diploma G.E.D.) are not acceptable.

I have bolded the important part. A vocational education is not a formal education.

That said, if you have a university education you can try to use that (some have been successfully with this) alternatively you may need to rely on work experience.

For the sake of asking, rather then arguing

High school in USA don't require additional education to be admitted into university, however, vocational does

In Indonesia, vocational high school graduate don't require further education to be admitted into university

Am I right to say that, as long as the vocational high school in Indonesia, may be qualified, as long as one can provide evidence for their further education? (college/university)

Thanks

Firstly: The test is not whether you can be admitted to university in your home country, it’s whether you can be admitted to university in the US on the basis of your high school diploma without needing further study. This is actually not consistently applied though, for example in some British-style systems you need A levels and in others O-levels are ok. And sometimes something is called vocational in one country but it does not mean quite the same thing as elsewhere and could be acceptable. So you need to check your local embassy for what they deem acceptable.

Secondly: It’s still open to debate whether a university degree compensates for not meeting the underlying high school requirement. It doesn’t seem to be consistently applied. Again, suggest you contact your local embassy or find some forum of locals who may have gone through this and know.

Thank you for your reply

Vocational education here in Indonesia is describe as follow:

Equivalent to 'regular' high school but different in term of subject, we are here should finish our education in minimum 3 years, just exactly similar to 'regular' high school in term of time, we are given diploma just like regular high school, the point of making regular and vocational high school is to prepare graduate to work immediately, because they have more 'focused' subject in comparison to 'regular'

for example

Technical high school, will mostly have subject of science, and very minor or non existent economy subject

Economy high school, will have economy subject, but limited or non existent science subject

All of these school graduated eligible to continue directly to college/university, without further study

Firstly: The test is not whether you can be admitted to university in your home country, it’s whether you can be admitted to university in the US on the basis of your high school diploma without needing further study. This is actually not consistently applied though, for example in some British-style systems you need A levels and in others O-levels are ok. And sometimes something is called vocational in one country but it does not mean quite the same thing as elsewhere and could be acceptable. So you need to check your local embassy for what they deem acceptable.

Secondly: It’s still open to debate whether a university degree compensates for not meeting the underlying high school requirement. It doesn’t seem to be consistently applied. Again, suggest you contact your local embassy or find some forum of locals who may have gone through this and know.

Seems like a good idea, thank you

FYI as an informal reference I tend to look at U Colorado requirements (mainly because it is a “normal” university and the requirements are easily available to find for internationals), for Indonesia they say they need :

one of the following Secondary School Leaving Certificates: STTB , SMA

Aaah, that's the ticket, it is confirmed, in our vocational high school, we will receive STTB (Surat Tanda Tamat Belajar) Letter of finishing education

Thank you so much Susie, now my doubt is floating away

Ok My question is how have a D7 Mathematics in Ghana and I won Dv2020......Can I pass my interview because am going as a resident not for Education purpose

hello,

it will be my pleasure to ask this question from you guys my friend need help regarding the DV 2019 applying process in the please of Education he have selected High school, no degree
below are the Education level to apply for DV 2019 as follow options
  • Primary school only
  • High school, no degree
  • High school degree
  • Vocational school
  • Some university courses
  • University degree
  • Some graduate level courses
  • Master degree
  • Some doctorate level courses
  • Doctorate degree

now our question is if he win the DV lottery when it came to the Education to be show what will he show since he have selected high school, no degree...?

your help will be important.

please help us on this

hello,

it will be my pleasure to ask this question from you guys my friend need help regarding the DV 2019 applying process in the please of Education he have selected High school, no degree
  • Primary school only
  • High school, no degree
  • High school degree
  • Vocational school
  • University degree
  • Master degree
  • Doctorate degree

now our question is if he win the DV lottery when it came to the Education to be show what will he show since he have selected high school, no degree...?

hello,

• Primary school only
  • High school, no degree
  • High school degree
  • Vocational school
  • University degree
  • Master degree
  • Doctorate degree

I am not sure what you are actually asking. Are you saying he put the wrong thing in the entry, or are you saying he didn’t complete high school?

Also, DV2019 is over, they are currently processing DV2020. Are you asking for someone who entered the lottery jn 2019 and is awaiting results in May?