Question involving deportation for felony, app. for lost green card

seniorpjt

Hi, I am asking a question on behalf of a family friend, whose situation is this:

She came to the country on a green card decades ago and has lived in different parts of the United States throughout the years, but mostly in New York City. She was convicted of a felony and was supposed to be deported, but it never happened - I suppose they released her or pardoned her with a warning (not completely sure of details as they were not fully disclosed to me). She made the mistake of keeping ALL her identification (green card, social security card) in her wallet, which was stolen one day. Now she has NO identification whatsoever, and cannot get any without other forms of ID. I was told that when she tries to reapply for her green card, that they will pull up her past record and she runs the risk of being deported (supposedly according to a bill that Clinton approved when he was in office). Without ID, she can't have insurance, a bank account, etc. But she also can't run the risk of being deported because all she has is here. I am trying to figure out a way to help her. Would anyone be able to shed any light on this? Perhaps my previous sources were incorrect and there is no risk to begin with?

I appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Aggravated crimes whether a felony or even a misdemeanor are mostly deportable crimes, and then there are some Felonies that are NOT deportable but it rather makes a person inadmissible, meaning a person can live here for however long but when they Travel and try to reenter the inadmissibility comes into play.
It's also important to know that even some of the aggravated crimes have relief from Removal or Deportation if the person in question has a significant period in the US as a permanent resident without having any trouble with the law before the crime took place.
These people can be granted a Waiver of Deportation or removal, usually that period is at least 7 years of LPR.
A consultation with a immigration attorney is very important in these cases due to complexity of the law regarding deportations and removal.

Last edited by a moderator: