question about sponsor

2JZGTE

Registered Users (C)
I have a friend who was sponsored for a green card by her husband. She has not received her green card yet but they might get a divorce. The marriage was entered in good faith but they can't stand each other anymore.

If they get a divorce does any one know if it would cancel her green card? And is it also possible that her husband could cancel his sponsorship?

Thanks!

Yes.Not only the application doesnt stand good any more, even in case if she gets a GC, it will be conditional and she wont be able to renew it after the stipulated 2 yrs.

Originally posted by SWaiting
Yes.Not only the application doesnt stand good any more, even in case if she gets a GC, it will be conditional and she wont be able to renew it after the stipulated 2 yrs.

Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know of anything that I can do to help? Can sponsors be switched without starting the process over? Does it make any difference that I was born in the US? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided. ;)

A US Citizen can only sponsor immediate relatives. not friends..

all you can do is hope for the best for her...

goodluck

A US Citizen can only sponsor immediate relatives. not friends..

all you can do is hope for the best for her...

goodluck

She's actually my girl friend for more than 1 year. If we got married would her application have to start over? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Well, thats a totally different ball game. Unlike Employment petition, you cant transfer petitions in family cases.

If you guys gets married, create a fresh petition for her...

goodluck

Well, thats a totally different ball game. Unlike Employment petition, you cant transfer petitions in family cases.

If you guys gets married, create a fresh petition for her...

goodluck

Thanks for help. :)

Originally posted by 2JZGTE
I have a friend who was sponsored for a green card by her husband. She has not received her green card yet but they might get a divorce. The marriage was entered in good faith but they can't stand each other anymore.

If they get a divorce does any one know if it would cancel her green card? And is it also possible that her husband could cancel his sponsorship?

Thanks!

This is very complex. She really needs specific advice from a quailified immigration attorney. If she and her husband break up, you two (you and her, not you and her husband :) ) get married, USCIS may very well consider the first marriage to be a sham marriage. You would then need to convince them that it was in fact entered into in good faith and was not a sham. Depending on how the former husband acts, this could be extremely difficult and expensive and could even require an appeal of a denial.

Re: Re: question about sponsor

Originally posted by Jim Mills
This is very complex. She really needs specific advice from a quailified immigration attorney. If she and her husband break up, you two (you and her, not you and her husband :) ) get married, USCIS may very well consider the first marriage to be a sham marriage. You would then need to convince them that it was in fact entered into in good faith and was not a sham. Depending on how the former husband acts, this could be extremely difficult and expensive and could even require an appeal of a denial.

Thanks, I didn't realize it was so complicated. This is my first time dealing with this stuff. From what I've read on the USCIS website, after a green card is received you can petition to remove the conditional status on the green card using a I-751. Would this be the best option? Although, it seems there is a time restriction of when you can send in that form though. So maybe that's not a good idea. It looks like you have to wait until 90 days before the second year anniversary of receiving the green card and not after getting married :(

It seems like the process is, first the sponsor sends in a I-130 form and then the applicant sends in a I-485 form. Is this correct? If I were to send in a I-130 would she have to send in another I-485? What is the link between the two forms?

This is very confusing for me. I wish someone had a flow chart of how this whole process works. :D

Is it common to have to take your finger prints 3 times within 2 years? I understand if the USCIS takes too long to process the application the finger prints will expire after about a year and a half. But taking 2 more finger prints within a few months of each other seems odd to me. :confused:

Did this happen to anyone else?