Question about PCC.

leosin

A couple of my friends, who went to Mumbai Consulate for the interview, have been asked for the local PCC from India. They were grilled and were asked for a lot more supporting documents (much more than the required documents) when they could not furnish local PCCs. Ultimately they got their IVs approved, but they say they went through a bad experience.

Both of them have lived in the US for the last 4-5 years and furnished PCC from Indian Consulate only. Their wives were in the US for about 6 months to one year.

I am in a similar situation as them. I dont know whether it is advisable to take the trouble to get local PCC from India.

Can someone please advise on whether it is required to get local PCCs from India at all? I have lived here for 6 years, and my wife has been here for 8 months.

Thanks a lot in advance.

regards
sanjay

Did they ask for local PCCs for their wives or for themselves as well? It's likely if someone's wife is hardly six months in the US, they might have asked for local PCCs.

As per the prevailing wisdom on this forum, for most who have been living in the US for quite some time (say, more than one year or so), PCCs from Indian consulate have sufficed.

You may ask them by e-mail - they often reply (after two weeks or so).

leosin:
I 100% concur with jigesh.

jigesh:
SO arent u leaving for india this week coz if i am not wrong your interview is scheduled for 3/16? All the best!

Hi,

The first post in this thread brings to light something new!

As kd pointed out we have been assuming and canvassing that
if you are a current resident of USA the only PCC is the one
you need to get from the Consulate in US.

This has indeed worked in almost all the cases that we have
been hearing about, and it did work personally in my case.

With this background it is difficult to explain the few cases
cited by this post. Some of the possibilities are:

a) As jigesh pointed out the small length of stay for the spouses.

b) A particularly troublesome officer seeming to interpret the
rules in a different way.(we have heard about this several times )

OR

c) It is true that the whole process for Green Cards is still
in evolution and the precedures are continuously altered
to suit some new requirements.

This is why it is important to hear from any member whose
experience is even slightly different from the normal to
come out with as much details as possible, so that the
aspirants can learn and prepare themselves.

Raju

jigesh:
SO arent u leaving for india this week coz if i am not wrong your interview is scheduled for 3/16? All the best!

Yes, KD - I am leaving tomorrow (03/07) evening from Newark - will reach Mumbai on 03/09 early morning (will be staying at Hotel Royal Castle). Hope for the best....thanks a lot for your best wishes....will be back on 03/28...

By the way, can you just check your private mail? Thank you.

jigesh:

Yes I do check my private messages! Did you send one coz i do not see any right now?

Hotel Royal Castle? where is this? Address? Born and Lived in bombay but cannot recall that hotel name....is it in bandra/ linking road area?

Yes I do check my private messages! Did you send one coz i do not see any right now?

You are right - you already replied. I was late in reading your reply!! Thanks a lot...

Hotel Royal Castle? where is this? Address? Born and Lived in bombay but cannot recall that hotel name....is it in bandra/ linking road area?

The address is:

Hotel Royal Castle
76 August Kranti Marg(Gowalia Tank)
Mumbai - 400 036.

I got their info from http://www.immihelp.com/gc/consular/around.html

I have some other work in Bombay as well - so will be staying in this hotel for 10 days (so if don't like this hotel, will change to another one after reaching there). Not as expensive (and hence not as comfortable) as Shalimar though. In past, we were living in Hiranadani/Powai area (IIT-Bombay) so in general, I am familiar with getting around in Bombay (did not know this hotel though). It should be somewhere around Kemps corner/Gowalia Tank area. Not far from the consulate and Breach Candy (for medicals).

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
jigesh:

Absolutely this place is near kemps corner...now that you say i remember coz I used to go for Chartered Accountancy classes in that area! Pretty close tot eh consulate and breach candy ...you are right!

Thanks

Folks,
thanks a lot for your helpful inputs.

The feedback I got from my friends was that the American Officer just wanted to put them through some trouble. My friend tried to convince the officer that the PCC from Indian Consulate is supposed to be good enough, but he was adamant about the Indian PCC. Then an Indian Officer from the Consulate intervened and explained to the American Officer. The American Officer was convinced after this, but harassed my friends on other issues. Actually, my friend's kid was cranky (they took the kid along to the interview) and cried a lot at the Consulate. That could have irritated the American Officer.

I have decided NOT to take the trouble to get an Indian PCC for my wife, even though her stay in US is only for about 6 months now.

Jigesh, I know you are about to leave today. I wish you the very best in the interview. And do enlighten us with your experience, once you are back!!!

regards
Sanjay

alren:

Any news on your P3 review completion ....I noticed that your p3 review started 3/1...God its been a long time for you since your I-140 approval last year in April!

Originally posted by kd1403
alren:

Any news on your P3 review completion ....I noticed that your p3 review started 3/1...God its been a long time for you since your I-140 approval last year in April!

Not quite. I'm checking it twice a day :D
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Local PCC

Guys

I was told by Mumbai consulate via email (in response to my query) that my wife would need two PCCs: one from the Indian consulate in the US and one from the local police station in India. I thought that the reason was the same - my wife was in the US for about 6 months when I got a case # for AC140. The email also said that I needed PCC from Indian consulate in the US only - I guessed because I was in the US for amost 9 years.

I carried PCCs from the SFO consulate for both of us AS WELL AS local PCCs for both of us! Luckily the consular officer did not ask for it. I think it is better to be safe and get this point clarifed with the US consulate. If one has residence in Mumbai, getting local PCC is quite straight.

KAT02.