Question about Passport

Publicus

Registered Users (C)
I applied for a U.S. Passport on January 10. According to the USPS, The passport service received the application on January 11. So far I cannot track my application online, and when I called 1-877-487-2778 last night, they told me it's not in their system yet. I filed for expedited processing. They told me that the application goes to the bank first, then they received thereafter and get it done within 3 days. Any advice guys?

I am trying to receive it by the end of the week as I am leaving to South Carolina next Sunday (Jan. 22nd).

Thanks.

Publicus said:
I applied for a U.S. Passport on January 10. According to the USPS, The passport service received the application on January 11. So far I cannot track my application online, and when I called 1-877-487-2778 last night, they told me it's not in their system yet. I filed for expedited processing. They told me that the application goes to the bank first, then they received thereafter and get it done within 3 days. Any advice guys?

I am trying to receive it by the end of the week as I am leaving to South Carolina next Sunday (Jan. 22nd).

Thanks.

i think once they received, it would take 2-3 days for them to get into the system. normally you should get it within 2 weeks. so you should receive it on or before jan 24. if you do not get it before you leave to S. Carolina, it should not be a problem. your local USPS would keep it for you. however, i know they would return to sender if no one claim the pkg within few days (or a week) after the first attemped delivery.

If you filed for the expedited, you wont find it in the system. They are so busy processing in a expedited manner, they have no time to enter in the system :)

Your best bet is to call the national passport line directly, you get accurate status of your passport.

pub
did you enclose return USPS express mail postage so your passport comes back by USPS ?

Usually the DOS is very good with phone calls and has a great turn around time. If you dont hear by Tuesday, call them and use your army charm!

I recently applied for my pp. It took me 7.5 wks with regular processing. My online status did not show up until the day the pp was actually mailed out. But the customer service phone line should have ur info once your check or credit card is debited.

I was told they arre extremely busy these days. A lot of people were expiditing. It was my understanding from conversations with them that they may not be necessarilly processing expedite requests on a first-come-first-serve basis, instead according to the priority of proposed travel dates.

Thank you for the info. I have decided to submit a Money Order with my application.

Rahul, I did include a return overnight USPS letter. The postal service lady did all of that. I have applied for expedited two-way overnight. Indeed, the passport service is good with phone calls. YOu may have to wait for few minutes, but they always answer. There is a HUGE difference with the DOS and CIS. :cool:

I am thinking about filing a change of address as soon as I get to SC. That way I can get it there. Also, if I don't get it by let's say Friday 20, I'd probably call the DOS and ask them to hold it until I give them the new address.

I can't wait until I get my Naturalization Certificate back. I am already missing it. :eek:

Publicus said:
Thank you for the info. I have decided to submit a Money Order with my application.

Rahul, I did include a return overnight USPS letter. The postal service lady did all of that. I have applied for expedited two-way overnight. Indeed, the passport service is good with phone calls. YOu may have to wait for few minutes, but they always answer. There is a HUGE difference with the DOS and CIS. :cool:

I am thinking about filing a change of address as soon as I get to SC. That way I can get it there. Also, if I don't get it by let's say Friday 20, I'd probably call the DOS and ask them to hold it until I give them the new address.

I can't wait until I get my Naturalization Certificate back. I am already missing it. :eek:

would you have anyone to sign the pkg for you in your current address, and send you fedex to your address in SC?

ocworker said:
would you have anyone to sign the pkg for you in your current address, and send you fedex to your address in SC?

No...I posted my PO Box. But I heard the Postal Service will forward the mail.

Passport

I will attending my swear in ceremony on February 3rd at the Los Angeles Convention Center. I am planning to apply for a United States Passport. Please I was wondering if anyone can tell me the requirements and the fee for someone applying at the swear in ceremony. What documents do I have to take and do I pay the fee by personal check or money order.

Thanks.

I called the Department of State (man I love dealing with these wonderful people :D ) and was told my passport was printed. The agent I spoke to today told me it will go through the Quality Control Department and should be mailed tomorrow. I have applied for expedited processing with overnight mailing. Do you think I can receive it by Saturday? I am flying on Sunday.

Any suggestions? Thanks. :)

Also, I heard that this package will not be forwarded...To receive it in a new address, I have to send a signed written change of address. THX.

Publicus said:
I called the Department of State (man I love dealing with these wonderful people :D ) and was told my passport was printed. The agent I spoke to today told me it will go through the Quality Control Department and should be mailed tomorrow. I have applied for expedited processing with overnight mailing. Do you think I can receive it by Saturday? I am flying on Sunday.

Any suggestions? Thanks. :)

Also, I heard that this package will not be forwarded...To receive it in a new address, I have to send a signed written change of address. THX.

do you have anyone in the current address to sign for you?

if they mail out tomorrow, you should be receiving on Saturday (since USPS deliveries mail in most cities on Saturday too)

ocworker said:
do you have anyone in the current address to sign for you?

if they mail out tomorrow, you should be receiving on Saturday (since USPS deliveries mail in most cities on Saturday too)

To answer your question ocworker, I have nobody to sign for it. I am hoping I will get it by Saturday.

On another matter, I know I have to sign my passport, do I sign it the way I sign my Credit Card slips and personal Checks, or do I sign it the way I signed the Naturalization Certificate?

Thank you.

Publicus said:
To answer your question ocworker, I have nobody to sign for it. I am hoping I will get it by Saturday.

On another matter, I know I have to sign my passport, do I sign it the way I sign my Credit Card slips and personal Checks, or do I sign it the way I signed the Naturalization Certificate?

Thank you.

good question. i have not signed my passport yet. i guess it does not matter how you sign it thou.

btw, i have my naturalization cert signed the way as i sign my credit card slips, since it needs to match with the picture (it was how i signed on the picture too). odd... but i was instructed by the USCIS officer at the time of the interview.. so.. i could not just disagree on it (since it does not have a clear instruction to guide me how to sign on the cert / pictures)

ocworker said:
good question. i have not signed my passport yet. i guess it does not matter how you sign it thou.

btw, i have my naturalization cert signed the way as i sign my credit card slips, since it needs to match with the picture (it was how i signed on the picture too). odd... but i was instructed by the USCIS officer at the time of the interview.. so.. i could not just disagree on it (since it does not have a clear instruction to guide me how to sign on the cert / pictures)

Hi ocworker:

When I went to the interview, the officer told me to print my name, so I printed it in CAPITAL LETTERS: MARCUS PUBLICUS, however, when I received my Natz cert. I printed it in small caps: Marcus Publicus. When I applied for the passport, the lady at the window told me I should've signed it by writing my name and not printing it. I was kind of worried about this, but since they have printed my passport book, I guess it doesn't matter, as long as you sign it. I showed my cert. to an immigration officer after I signed it and she approved it.

Us immigrants, we will always have glitches like this to worry about. :eek:

Publicus said:
Us immigrants, we will always have glitches like this to worry about. :eek:

i know. sigh.

i read the posts about how to sign the name on the pictures from here before i went to the interview. in the interview, the officer asked me to "sign" it. i wanted to confirm "how should i sign" it. i asked her "do i just sign like ..." (the way i signed on the form with my new name). She said, "yeah".

So, i guess time will tell. haha..

after all, we get the cert and passport; may be we should not worry about the little details (unless these little details would come back and bite us in the future).

are you so ready to go to S.C.?? man.. I wish I joined Army when i first received my GC. Well, I would either 1) be xxxxxx (i masked it.. touch wood), or 2) working with you in Iraq .

good luck.. be safe out there.

ocworker said:
are you so ready to go to S.C.?? man.. I wish I joined Army when i first received my GC. Well, I would either 1) be xxxxxx (i masked it.. touch wood), or 2) working with you in Iraq .

good luck.. be safe out there.

Thanks ocworker...I am indeed almost ready. I have to make sure I have all my documents, and I am still digging them out. :)
Today I checked my airplane seat, and guess what? They gave me the exit-door seat. :cool: Maybe Uncle Sam is getting it for free, or at a very large discount. :cool:

Publicus said:
Thanks ocworker...I am indeed almost ready. I have to make sure I have all my documents, and I am still digging them out. :)
Today I checked my airplane seat, and guess what? They gave me the exit-door seat. :cool: Maybe Uncle Sam is getting it for free, or at a very large discount. :cool:

extra leg rooms :p

Guess what: TODAY I RECEIVED MY PASSPORT:D :D :D I got it like 30 minutes ago. I was really worried about missing it but it's all good now.

Truly I took a big chance here. I read somewhere on the forum that a member received it in 10 days. So I took a risk and it paid off today. I filed on 1/10/2006 and received it on 1/21/2006. Total days including shipment was: 11 days.

I guess now I can finally say: My Immigration Journey is Over.