• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Question about Name on DS260, please help

NanaFavored

Hi everyone, I have been lurking on this forum for a while now but this is my first post. Forgive me if this has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer for this.

I was chosen for further processing for dv 2019, I recently got married to my fiance and my name on the marriage certificate has my husband's last name however, the name on my passport hasn't changed and the same applies to all my documents. I do not intend to obtain another passport for now, so my question is should the name I put on the DS260 be the same as the one on the marriage certificate or my passport? I'm really clueless about the legal name thingy. I'm in South Africa by the way.

Thank you for all your help.

Hi everyone, I have been lurking on this forum for a while now but this is my first post. Forgive me if this has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer for this.

I was chosen for further processing for dv 2019, I recently got married to my fiance and my name on the marriage certificate has my husband's last name however, the name on my passport hasn't changed and the same applies to all my documents. I do not intend to obtain another passport for now, so my question is should the name I put on the DS260 be the same as the one on the marriage certificate or my passport? I'm really clueless about the legal name thingy. I'm in South Africa by the way.

Thank you for all your help.

If you want to use your busband’s name you need to get your passport renewed to show that. Your immigrant visa and your subsequent green card - which becomes your legal name in the US - will be the name that is in your passport. Find a quiet branch of home affairs or pay one of those agents but get it done. Also it is sheer hell to renew a passport from the US so much better to get it done in SA before you go anyway.

If you want to use your busband’s name you need to get your passport renewed to show that. Your immigrant visa and your subsequent green card - which becomes your legal name in the US - will be the name that is in your passport. Find a quiet branch of home affairs or pay one of those agents but get it done. Also it is sheer hell to renew a passport from the US so much better to get it done in SA before you go anyway.

Thank you so much @SusieQQQ , I really appreciate your help. Will do just that.