Question about Group Affiliation, again...

sindebad

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

When I filed the I-485 form, there was a question that says:

"List your present and past membership in or affiliation with every organization, association, fund, foundation, party, club, society or similar groupin the United States or in other places since your 16th birthday. Include any foreign military service in this part. If none, write "none." Include thename(s) of organization(s), location(s), dates of membership, from and to, and the nature of the organization(s). If additional space is needed, use aseparate piece of paper."

I answered that question with "NONE" although I was a member in professional association, such as ASCE and IEEE.

The problem is that I thought they meant "political organization" (Actually, you'll find that previous i-485 forms ask specificially for "political organziation", and both forms (with and without the word "polictial") where valied when I applied and bother were exopired in 9/30/08. Anyway, my application was approved.

Would that affect be considered as a lie? Should I revise my answer? When I apply for N-400, do I need to discuss that with the officer?

Than you all.

Hello,

When I filed the I-485 form, there was a question that says:

"List your present and past membership in or affiliation with every organization, association, fund, foundation, party, club, society or similar groupin the United States or in other places since your 16th birthday. Include any foreign military service in this part. If none, write "none." Include thename(s) of organization(s), location(s), dates of membership, from and to, and the nature of the organization(s). If additional space is needed, use aseparate piece of paper."

I answered that question with "NONE" although I was a member in professional association, such as ASCE and IEEE.

The problem is that I thought they meant "political organization" (Actually, you'll find that previous i-485 forms ask specificially for "political organziation", and both forms (with and without the word "polictial") where valied when I applied and bother were exopired in 9/30/08. Anyway, my application was approved.

Would that affect be considered as a lie? Should I revise my answer? When I apply for N-400, do I need to discuss that with the officer?

Than you all.

Despite I do not know what ASCE and IEEE are, I think you are fine assuming those are not a Nazi association groups or very strong international anti american associations. Do not mention anything regarding that and if the same question in the N400 just answer the question honstly and forget the I485