Question about cancelling Indian passport

BhavM

Hiiiii to all...

I became US Citizen in October 2007. After becoming US citizen, I applied for OCI,
and it was approved. They didn't cancel my passport back then because I'm guessing it wasn't required or it didn't matter.

I heard from few people that I have to cancel my Indian passport, and the fee is only $20.
I sent my passport for renouncin Indian citizenship with $20 check for mailing charge, they sent mail back with a letter that says I need to pay $ 270 plus mailing charge $20.

Since I already have OCI, does it matter if I don't cancel my Indian passport?

Send a letter and a copy of your naturalization certificate. Fees for surrendering Indian citizenship is $20 for those who became US citizens before May 2010 and $270 after May 2010. Mailing charges are additional.

I became US Citizen in October 2007. After becoming US citizen, I applied for OCI,
and it was approved. They didn't cancel my passport back then because I'm guessing it wasn't required or it didn't matter.

I heard from few people that I have to cancel my Indian passport, and the fee is only $20.
I sent my passport for renouncin Indian citizenship with $20 check for mailing charge, they sent mail back with a letter that says I need to pay $ 270 plus mailing charge $20.

Since I already have OCI, does it matter if I don't cancel my Indian passport?

Are you sure about the facts?
#1. That they did not cancel your passport. Cancelation is just a tiny stamp on the first and last page of passport. It is not even colorful and hence easy to miss.
#2. You might need to either talk to them or send a special note explaining your circumstances. There was a huge fracas when they introduced this policy which led them to reduce fees for people who already naturalized. I think the cutoff date was June 1, 2010 or something near. You should reiterate this fact, also that highlight that it was their error in not canceling, and they should do the needful. Make sure they hear your point, but not so loud that they feel offended, which they do from time to time.

Send a letter and a copy of your naturalization certificate. Fees for surrendering Indian citizenship is $20 for those who became US citizens before May 2010 and $270 after May 2010. Mailing charges are additional.

I became citizen in 2007, so I should have to pay 20 dollars not 270. They sent letter saying that I have to send 270+20 dollars to get that little stamp on my passport.

Are you sure about the facts?
#1. That they did not cancel your passport. Cancelation is just a tiny stamp on the first and last page of passport. It is not even colorful and hence easy to miss.
#2. You might need to either talk to them or send a special note explaining your circumstances. There was a huge fracas when they introduced this policy which led them to reduce fees for people who already naturalized. I think the cutoff date was June 1, 2010 or something near. You should reiterate this fact, also that highlight that it was their error in not canceling, and they should do the needful. Make sure they hear your point, but not so loud that they feel offended, which they do from time to time.

1. Yup, they did not stamp my passport because I did not send them $ 290.
2. I am going to India in a month, so I don't know if I will get it done by then or not.

What I'm thinking is that I already have dual Citizenship OCI with me, and I wouldn't use passport anywhere and infact I don't need it when I have OCI.

is it a problem if I just keep my Indian passport without cancelling it?
I don't see any logic in paying 300 to get a stamp when I know I'm not going to use the passport again.

I don't see any logic in paying 300 to get a stamp when I know I'm not going to use the passport again.

I do not see an issue for this trip. As long as you carry your US passport + OCI card, you should be fine. India rarely (if ever) checks the previous canceled passport on entry.

I became citizen in 2007, so I should have to pay 20 dollars not 270. They sent letter saying that I have to send 270+20 dollars to get that little stamp on my passport.

1. Yup, they did not stamp my passport because I did not send them $ 290.
2. I am going to India in a month, so I don't know if I will get it done by then or not.

What I'm thinking is that I already have dual Citizenship OCI with me, and I wouldn't use passport anywhere and infact I don't need it when I have OCI.

Ignore the letter for $290. Send in the Surrender Certificate form with $20 (+$20 for mailing) and in a few weeks you'll get the passport back with the Surrender Certificate.
Having said that, the only time you'll need the Surrender Cert/Canceled passport is if you are going to use to to get an OCI for spouse/kids. Otherwise save your $40 and just travel with your existing Passport and OCI.