Qs on Filing I-485

porkman

Registered Users (C)
After got my asylum for one year, I\'m going to file I-485 based on the granted asylum. I have 3 questions:
1. Do I need to do the medical examination? So far I got conflicting messages from INS. In their web site, they ask for I-693, Medical with Vaccination supplement. But in the I-485 filing instructions, they say for asylees should "wait for further instructions from INS" and "do not submit a medical report with your adjustment of status application". Any one had any prior experience?
2. Since it will take 4-5 years to finally get the green card. How can I make sure that INS letters will reach me if I change my address during this painfully long period. I found that I could file address change form AR-11 with INS. But given INS\'s error-prone working attitude, I doubt it will help.
3. I saw a post saying that the green card the asylee got will tell that it\'s asylum based. Is it possible for the INS to revoke the green card if the "well-founded fear" no longer exists in the future?
thanks a lot for any information.

No Title

I filed my I-485 in August 2000. I am not sure of the answers to all your questions but I can give you my understandings.

1. No. You don\'t need to do medical check when filing I-485. The medical report has a time limit and when INS starts to process your case your report will already have expired by then.

2. Notify INS everytime you change your address. And pay attention to the processing time. When your time is near send a new address change form to INS to confirm your current address even though you haven\'t moved. I don\'t know any good way to do it since INS doesn\'t confirm after they update your address.

3. My understanding is that once you got your GC INS can not revoke it soley based on changes of condition which makes you without a well founded fear any more. They can revoke your GC if it turns out your asylum application is fraudulent. They can revoke your asylee status if conditions change and you don\'t satisfy as an asylee any more. But I don\'t think they can revoke your GC because of the change.

No Title

Before summer 2000 the INS requested asylee to submit their medicals along with the I-485s. Then they changed the requirement. It would be interesting to see if the INS will ask people to redo their medicals.