Qs about Affidavit of Support I134

jbond_46254

Registered Users (C)
hello

I am trying to understand the full legal implications of filing an I134 "Affidavit of Support". I am about to provide an I134 to a distant relative to support his application for B Visa. I will write on the I134 that I will provide "room, board, travel and miscellaneous expenses for upto 6 months". Please let me know what will be legal implications of this as per the following scenarios:

1. My relative uses my I134 to obtain a Visitor B Visa and enters the US. I put him up with a friend of mine. 2 months later he says that he doesn't like the place and wants to move somewhere else. Can I make him stay at the same place regardless of what he wants?

2. My relative uses a credit card to make a purchase of $5K and tells me that he can't pay the credit card bill. He tells me to pay up since I have filed an Affidavit of Support. What are my options?

3. My relative stays at my friend's place but badly damages his apartment. Am I liable to pay for the repair?

4. My relative wants to stay for 6 months but I want him to leave in 3 months. Is there some way I can force him to leave?

5. Can my relative complain to the USCIS or some other authority that I am not providing him support and get me in trouble? What are my options in this scenario?

I understand that all these "horror" scenarios are pretty unlikely. However, I want to fully understand what possibilities I will risk if I provide an Affidavit of Support. Will appreciate any responses.

Thanks
James

1. Legally you are right. However, in reality he can move anywhere he/she wants.

2. Legally, you’re bound by his actions because of the Affidavit of support and you have checked the column “ I do intend”

3. Yes, because you are the sponsor and he/she has not source of income.

4. Yes, inform the nearest Immigration office about the person.

5. Yes, the person can claim money or for your support for his period of stay by going to the Immigration office.

www.passintl.com