Putin’s popularity at home soars

grape ape

Registered Users (C)
March 27, 2014 00:02 IST by Vladimir Radyuhin

President Vladimir Putin’s popularity at home has hit a near all-time record as the West appears to be losing the battle for the minds of Russians over the Ukraine crisis.

A whopping 80 percent of Russians approve of Mr. Putin’s work, according to the latest poll by Levada Centre, a respected independent pollster. This is just 5 percent short of the all-time high approval rating Mr. Putin enjoyed in 2008, when he was about to step down as President.

Today Russians want Mr. Putin to stay in office for another term. If elections were held this coming Sunday he would get the votes of 64 percent of Russians, another poll has found. Mr. Putin had such a record high level of electoral support only once in the past, in 2004, ahead of his triumphant re-election for a second term, said FOM pollster, which conducted the survey.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/putins-popularity-at-home-soars/article5836423.ece

I have many relatives in Ukraine and Russia, so I was really scared when I read your post. But then I looked at the date and everything fell into place. Because after the annexation of Crimea in late 2014, Putin's reputation was severely damaged.
Especially now that he has declared himself president for life, people are increasingly noticing his shortcomings and complaining.