Public Intox student who needs to renew F1 stamp


Background: I am a student in a F1 Visa in Arkansas. I was arrested early in February while I was walking back from a bar with some friends. I was taken to jail and charged with Public Intoxication (Class C misdemeanor in Arkansas, Ark. Code § § 5-4-201, 5-4-401, 5-71-212). I was booked and taken a picture, but my fingerprints were NOT taken. I was out of jail 9hrs later without paying any fines. Fast-forward to yesterday, I had my trail and was offered a deal: plea no contest and get the case deferred for 3 months (so early July I guess) and pay a fine. After the three months the case is supposed to get dismissed and not be on my record. This is my only arrest and criminal record. I understand this is no a CIMT and does not make me inadmissible.

Situation: I was accepted to graduate school in another school in Arkansas. I will be going back to my country and getting a new visa stamp in June. My question is, will this cause any problems or delays on my visa acceptance? Can my visa be denied for this? I plan to take the certificate of deposition with me. Will this trigger an NCIC background check or will it only be a matter of writing it in the DS-160 and explaining the consular officer ( I have heard that no-fingerprints mean no NCIC being triggered). Should I wait for after the first days of July to go for an appointment, or should I do it as early as possible (Early June). I am afraid that if I do it in July it can trigger an NCIC check and it will take a long time for me to get the Visa because of that. I am very nervous about this, please ley me know what you think will happen at my visa interview. Thanks for your help!


Registered Users (C)
Of course your visa could be denied for this. You were arrested after all.

The US embassy would likely review all documentation related to the arrest and the CO would decide whether to issue or deny a visa. You may have to attend a medical, and may be subject to an extended AP while the US does background checks following the interview. You of course have to disclose the arrest on the ds160 and answer any questions related to it at the interview. If a visa is denied, you have the option to attend graduate school in your or another country.