proposed immigration reform package offers to scrap family-based visas

I do think the family immigration component of the immigration has gone out of whack and needs correction. Work immigration which benefits the country should be number 1, as is the case in UK and Australia. Out of a million immigrants less than 150k are in the work category. Will lead to dumbing down of the US.

I think a middle ground will be to lower the extended family quota and increase the EB portion along with the immediate family (spouse, minor children etc) and reduce brother, sister, etc. Otherwise no republican will vote for the legalization issue unless the other categories are reduced to avoid "chain" immigration.

Something of an interest to all would-be citizens considering applying for family based visas.

"US President George Bush will reportedly move for the elimination of all family-based immigrant visas"

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage.aspx?StoryId=74294

Out of a million immigrants less than 150k are in the work category. Will lead to dumbing down of the US.

I beg to differ...How do they dumb down? can you explain?...

~What do you think most of the immigrants in the family category do after
they migrate? Don't they work? contribute to society?

~They cannot get any(save for few) public assistance, so they are not being
a burden on tax payers.

~the typical wait time for family based visas is 10-15 yrs and I think that's
painful enough for families and we need to work on reducing that time than
trying to eliminate it(the visas).

I don't understand - is this for a LPR sponsoring a family member or for citizens?

Speaking of which, how long does it take a USC to sponsor a family member? Brother (over 21) and mother?

But what about parents? I could not seem to find anything about sponsoring one's parents :eek:

Parents of USC are eligible for GC immediately (barring time for the USCIS to process the actual application ~ 6-8 months I think). See forum named 'Family Based Green Cards - Through Marriage or a Relative' under 'Immigrant Visas (Green Cards)' section of this website.

I call it dumbing down, because we have over half a million highly skilled potential immigrants waiting in the queue (retrogression) because we have an extremely small quota for skilled immigration. On the other hand we have over 3 times as many immigrants who join on family sponsorship who do need any skills or qualifications. Agreed not all the family immigrants are fruit pickers or cleaning maids but very few of them would be Engineers, Doctors, Computer professionals etc. So, this type of immigration policy does not lead to immigration of innovative skilled educated immigrants. Now the 12 million immigrants most of whom work on low paid jobs (and pay very little if any taxes) when they become legal and are able to sponsor relatives we are going to get more of the same not what the US may need in terms of the skills set. No doubt some family migration is needed to attact skilled immigrants, but right now what is needed is to bring a balance before the 12 million illegals start chain immigration. Legalizations of illegals will not happen unless Congress pulls the plug on family immigration. Bush knows that and that is exactly what he is going about doing.

Check out immmigration.gov.au to see how immigration systems in other western countries work. One can't even bring their parents if the majority of the family is outside the country. It is based on the points basis and the points are for skills which are needed to meet the skills shortage in the country. If you look at this objectively from the point of view of the country being benefitted you might see it differently as opposed to when you may see it personally because you might be planning to sponsor relatives. That is understandable.

I beg to differ...How do they dumb down? can you explain?...

~What do you think most of the immigrants in the family category do after
they migrate? Don't they work? contribute to society?

~They cannot get any(save for few) public assistance, so they are not being
a burden on tax payers.

~the typical wait time for family based visas is 10-15 yrs and I think that's
painful enough for families and we need to work on reducing that time than
trying to eliminate it(the visas).

But the proposal here is to eliminate the family categories like spouses of GC holders. Or spouses of US citizens. That does not make sense.

It is nothing but old-fashioned DC horse-trading to prod hard-line Republicans to support the immigration reforms. In the end some family immigration restrictions will come in, mainly for the illegals, to avoid so called "chain" immigration.
But the proposal here is to eliminate the family categories like spouses of GC holders. Or spouses of US citizens. That does not make sense.