• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Proof of education (uk)

damo24

A quick question regarding proof of education- particularly for anyone familiar with the UK system.
Typically on results day we pick up a slip from school and a while later receive the certificate.
The slip says on it 'provisional results' and 'this is not a certificate' presumably as you can request papers to be remarked.
Just wondering if the initial slip would be accepted at interview, as the certificate has been lost over the years- if not I'll apply for a replacement.
Thanks all

You need a formal certificate of your A levels. Certainly anything saying “provisional” wouldn’t be acceptable.

Thanks Susie- I suspected as much but as with everything there is a fee for a duplicate so I thought I would check!
My wife is principal applicant- has her certificate for advanced gnvq but not her a-level so 2 out of 3!

did she get any a-levels as well? GNVQ won’t meet the education requirement, as far as I understand it - it’s not accepted for university entrance, or is it?

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...iew/diversity-visa-prepare-for-interview.html

Education: Submit to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate at your interview, a certificate of completion equivalent to a U.S. diploma, school transcripts, or other evidence issued by the person or organization responsible for maintaining records, which specifies the completed course of study. The diversity visa selectee must have completed a 12-year course of elementary and secondary education in the U.S. or a comparable course of study in another country, sufficient in itself to qualify a student to apply for college admission. The following are not acceptable:

• Equivalency certificates (such as the G.E.D.) are not acceptable.
  • Vocational degrees that are not considered a basis for further academic study will not be considered equivalent to U.S. high school education.

Last edited:
She has 1 A-level and an distinction at advanced gnvq which is a level 3 qualification that UCAS considers equivalent to 2 A-levels grade A/B. She was admitted to university on that basis.

I'll have info like this printed off to bring along all the same

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181022-113302_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181022-113302_Chrome.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 7
I'll have info like this printed off to bring along all the same
Yup, I definitely would bring those, given the specific caution against vocational qualifications. Of course she needed the extra stand-alone A level to get that university entrance, hopefully the CO will allow her to “combine” these as well for DV purposes and not be a stickler about the course undertaken being “sufficient in itself”. I presume she graduated uni?

Yup, I definitely would bring those, given the specific caution against vocational qualifications.
Yes thanks Susie I've just seen your edit regarding vocational degrees- in this case it is an alternative route in to college rather than an alternative to college.
This is from the ucas guide
Screenshot_20181022-113627_Drive.jpg

Yup, I definitely would bring those, given the specific caution against vocational qualifications. Of course she needed the extra stand-alone A level to get that university entrance, hopefully the CO will allow her to “combine” these as well for DV purposes and not be a stickler about the course undertaken being “sufficient in itself”. I presume she graduated uni?
No she had to withdraw from uni before graduation, she has got the uni to print off a transcript detailing dates and classes taken etc also.

No she had to withdraw from uni before graduation, she has got the uni to print off a transcript detailing dates and classes taken etc also.
Ok, be aware that all that’s going to really show is that she got into university, if she doesn’t have a uni degree her high school leaving qualification is all that they can determine eligibility on.

• Vocational degrees that are not considered a basis for further academic study will not be considered equivalent to U.S. high school education.
To provide some context the advanced gnvq was in health and social care and the uni course she was admitted to was nursing sciences so I don't think 'not considered a basis....' is applicable?

Of course she needed the extra stand-alone A level to get that university entrance
That was the presumption at the time but it turned out she was given an unconditional offer of a uni place based on the a-gnvq, so the a-level itself wasn't actually required for admittance

IMO, I feel the question you should be asking yourself is whether the GC is worth what it will cost to get a replacement diploma or not. I would rather spend the money to ensure I have a very tight case than spend al this time looking for answers that may narrowly fit my situation.

Just my opinion.

That was the presumption at the time but it turned out she was given an unconditional offer of a uni place based on the a-gnvq, so the a-level itself wasn't actually required for admittance

Would she have gotten admitted into a US university with just the same result alone?

I agree mom and will be 100% getting the replacement regardless- the conversation just went on a bit of a tangent!

Valid question which I do not know the answer to- either way we will have as much detail as possible on hand
It’s an exceptionally valid question because as the extract above I pasted showed, that’s the defining question for eligibility.

I agree mom and will be 100% getting the replacement regardless- the conversation just went on a bit of a tangent!
Did it? We’ve had people before who thought they qualified but didn’t, and in a number of instances that was around vocational qualifications. We’ve also had people (not London as far as i know, but of course it’s not a heavy DV workload) who haven’t been able to “combine” qualifications, and the embassy will surely know that 3 A levels is the usual requirement for uni entrance. Just getting into a university is not proof of meeting the DV requirement- some obvious examples are someone in the US using a GED which is specifically excluded as qualifying, or someone in the uk using an access to HE diploma. That was why I asked about whether she had graduated - if she had a uni degree it would have been much easier imo to argue that she meets the minimum requirement.

I’m not trying to worry you unduly but but as mom said - focus on a watertight case. I don’t think ensuring that counts as the conversation going off on a tangent, but YMMV.

Is her work experience sufficient to present as a backup for eligibility in case it’s needed?

I’m not trying to worry you unduly but but as mom said - focus on a watertight case. I don’t think ensuring that counts as the conversation going off on a tangent, but YMMV.
Agreed and appreciated - poor choice of words on my part, no offense intended