Promotion, TN change required?

Fan99

Hi,

I recently got promoted to manager position with same employer. Do I need to change the TN1 for the change in title and salary?

Thanks.

There are no salary requirements for TN status, so no worries about that.
BUT, my understanding is you are not allowed to have people report to you when you are under TN status. (ie. a people manager).
You should consult with your employers legal team or lawfirm.

Hi Amber,

Thanks for reply. Is the requirement for people manager and/or people reporting to you specific only to management consultant position. I'm under CPA Accountant category.

Can someone else also provide some views on this.

Thanks.

Are employers dealing with TNs (or H1Bs) not required to have legal counsel or attorneys to deal with procedural documentation?

Sorry, but "managing" is not permitted on any TN position.

The state department website has a slightly different opinion on this:

FAM 402.17-12 DEFINING BUSINESS ACTIVITIES AT A PROFESSIONAL LEVEL

“Manager/Supervisor Positions: Management and/or executive positions can meet the requirements outlined for classification as a NAFTA professional. However, the consular officer must confirm that the management or executive position requires professional-level knowledge in order to successfully meet the job requirements. For example, an architect whose primary job will be to supervise other architects may be approvable even though the TN worker will not directly be engaging in architectural design, but rather using their professional expertise to assess the work of other architects, which requires at least a B.A. or professional credential in architecture. If the supervisory position is more administrative in nature, e.g. ensuring compliance with company regulations and policies, this would likely not require the professional credentialing in order to be successful. As such, it may not meet the requirements for TN classification.”

Indeed. But that would be determined at the border, by officers that have the "no management" mindset, and are not bound by state department memos. Consulates don't typically do TNs