Process and Time-Range for the DREAM Act

motuhanu

Hey you guys, I completely understand everyone's anxiety over all of this. It's really really frustrating and mind-bobbling how everything just seems so static and unmoving with the act at this point. DREAM Act has passed the 16-3 vote in the Committee of the Judiciary and was passed by Senate last year. We do have a better chance of this passing this year if you ask me, but I think the most important thing is if DREAM Act is more blatantly brought to the media. Last year when I was in high school, there were several protests going on but not focusing on this act. That was on the news, all over the place. There needs to be a way to promote all of this throughout L.A., San Jose, NY, San Francisco, Florida, etc. We need to do something so that this quickens, if this could just go through, it would pull a whole lot of weight off my shoulder.

Here's a good site to see what actions have been taken by now:
http://dreamact.info/index.php?option=com_progress&legBody=house&Itemid=55

Here's an email I wrote to you act_dream, so I'm sharing it with the rest of the forum:

"My name is Hana, I am actually a U.S. Citizen, since birth. I am currently in college, but during my sophomore year of high school my best friend had just found out that she was brought here illegally. She was 16 when she learned this and is now 19. She was brought here, when she was only a couple of months old and has gone through almost all of her education, she is now in college but she will be dropping next semester (this is her 2nd sem as is mine) because her father just lost his job and she wants to find a job urgently to help. Of course, since she is illegally, she will have a very hard time doing this. Today I spoke to her over the phone and she was about ready to buy tickets to Mexico thinking she could be of more help if she was there and was very upset since she bitterly said to me when I opposed and she said "What? You want me to get a McDonalds job or something for like 7 bucks an hour while you sit on your ass in your office job making websites for 9 bucks an hour?" She was angry of course, though I felt so bad...Me and my other friend have been trying to help through all of this, got her to do the AB540 for school and all and tried looking for scholarships. It's just so frustrating...

Anyway my point is that I've been following the Dream Act for awhile and now the Student Adjustment Act, which she would both qualify for. I live in San Francisco, CA, and she in San Jose. Is there any main ideas you can give me to help this pass? And do you have much information on how long this might take? Time is everything unfortunately, if I could just assure her under a time period...If it is brought up again this year, and things start rolling and it actually passes between both houses, how long would that take with all positives? Do you know?"