Problem regarding Acquisition of citizenship through Fathee

When I posted earlier, I was made to know that my father fulfilled all requirements to transmit citizenship to me (five years of residence after age of 14). Problem is that on most official documents my father's name is written as Emmanuel U Eni. However on my birth certificate, the name is shortened to Emma U. Eni. My father is dead now and I am planning to get a U.S Passport. Will this blunder in name cause me any complication?

When I posted earlier, I was made to know that my father fulfilled all requirements to transmit citizenship to me (five years of residence after age of 14). Problem is that on most official documents my father's name is written as Emmanuel U Eni. However on my birth certificate, the name is shortened to Emma U. Eni. My father is dead now and I am planning to get a U.S Passport. Will this blunder in name cause me any complication?
You will never know unless you try!! DO post back to let us know the outcome. Worst case scenario they ask for more evidence or Just denies it.

In principle, how your father's name is spelled on your birth certificate shouldn't matter; even if your father's name isn't on your birth certificate, as long as he is your father (proven by DNA test if necessary), the conditions in the law are satisfied.

Sir, my father is deceased so getting his genetic info is not possible. I am applying for the passport outside the US. I have pictures of me and my father that tally with that on his passport. I don't know if I could use a baptismal certificate to buttress my birth certificate. His name is fully spelled

I would double check before sending originals in (as opposed to physically showing them to someone at the embassy). Many stories of people sending in original documents to uscis/embassies and never getting them back.

I would double check before sending originals in (as opposed to physically showing them to someone at the embassy). Many stories of people sending in original documents to uscis/embassies and never getting them back.
He doesnt have a choice. Its just a risk he”s going to have to take!! Im pretty sure who ever he hands his application to at an embassy ,would not be the one determining the outcome of the app or checking the authenticity of said documents.

Original documents need to be sent in when applying for a US passport.

So the way my fathers name is spelled doesn't really matter? Also, would pictures and school fess receipt be enough to prove our relationship?

I wish to acquire US citizenship from my father. However when I got home, the only proof of citizenship I could find was a photocopy of his naturalisation certificate. He's passed away. Am I xxxxx?

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Please watch your language.
2. You already have a similar thread with inputs from forum members, there’s no need for a new thread to be created!

I wish to acquire US citizenship from my father. However when I got home, the only proof of citizenship I could find was a photocopy of his naturalisation certificate. He's passed away. Am I xxxxx?
This is where you might need the expertise of an experienced attorney. Do it your self might not cut it.

I'm sure your mother along with ur Dads death certificate can file some type of paper work to get a replacement certificate with the help of an attorney.

This is just me speculating. Don't know if that's possible. You should consult with an attorney