Proactive, Ciba help...transfer for Interview (I-485)

Rajeev Jha

Registered Users (C)
Is it helpful to go to the local district office to inquire about the case? Can they confirm whether they have received the files, when they can schedule interview, verify mailing address etc.?

Thanks in advance

No Title

Rajeev,

Yes, it is a very good idea to visit the office where you
file was transferred. You want to make sure your file is
transferred correctly. A couple months ago, a CSC folk
(handle go485) whose case was transferred to San Francisco
had to call and visit CSC and SFO back and forth because
each office said his case was at the other office. It was
really a mess, as I remember it.

ciba

No Title

Rajeev,

I went to the local office one morning (SJ) but the line was just too long, I had to go to work that day. According to my lawyer it is not really useful to visit the office, but of course I could not just stay at home.

What worked for me is to call the local congress-woman\'s office. The people in her office were very, very nice. The called the INS and then called me back and then called again after the interview was scheduled. It still took 5-6 months to get the interview notice, so I am not sure if it really helped. In my experience there is no need to be pushy at the congress woman office, quite the opposite.

Also my lawyer and I sent an unsolicited file to the INS to clear up possible dark spots in the case. That file made it to the I485 file and I saw it there during the final interview. This step really helped, the officer read the introductory letter(s), said \'I see\' and moved on to other issues.

In my experience there is little you can do to speed up the case. However inquiring around can help catch eventually gross errors, like your file being put on a shelf somewhere or the interview notice being lost in the mail.

Take care!

No Title

Thanks Ciba, Poactive for the response. I hear horror stories that some people have been waiting for years for the interview notice. Enjoy your permanent resident status....