Preparing for a TN-1...

xmlca

Hi Everyone,

Maybe I've spent too much time reading about this topic... but wondering if everyone could help with some clarification/experience/advice... etc.

First of all, I am Canadian citizen... I was offered a job with a company in the US to help their engineering team analyze and help develop a piece of software that analyzes moving objects via RF. The last couple of years I've been basically independently developing a new hybrid radar system while working my day job at a software house. So, my experience deals with a lot of software development - but I'm getting this job based off some research I've been doing independently...

I went to University for a year, and was hired by a software company the first year... I went overseas to take this job and kind of let school slide... 1/5 credits obtained... As such, I don't have a degree (which highly limits my NAFTA professional categories, I know) and perhaps I don't have the most reputable image with school per se.

I am going to be crossing the border in Buffalo. I am going to be applying under the "Scientific Technician/ technologist"... Which isn't far off from what I'll be doing. I'm trying my best to get away from presenting myself as a software developer and focus more as being involved with research (which is true). Being fairly young (20s)... and not owning a house... is there anything I should bring to support that I intend to return to Canada when my work permit expires?

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should bring or expect when applying under this category?

This is what I have (so far):

- Employment Letter
- Reference Letters (2 from past employers indicating a research/technical past)
- Resume
- High School Transcript (better than nothing I suppose?)
- My whitepaper on the technology/topic
- A welcome package from the company

Any thoughts, comments, experiences are much appreciated.

Thanks!

With neither a two year associates degree as a Scientific Technician and three years of related experience nor a four year degree in a field related to science, your chances are slim to none of getting a TN.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something then...

TN Category - "Scientific Technician / Technologist" states nothing about requiring a degree or license...

You're right. I never noticed that before.

"Possession of:
(a) theoretical knowledge of any of the following disciplines: agricultural sciences, astronomy, biology, chemistry, engineering, forestry, geology, geophysics, meteorology, or physics;

AND

(b) the ability to solve practical problems in any of those disciplines, or the ability to apply principles of any of those disciplines to basic or applied research"

Whew...

This would be one of those times I wish I finished off my degree earlier (starting next year).. but then again, if I did finish it, I wouldn't be moving to a place with no snow ;)

Just another question that came to mind.

Is it fairly easy going back and fourth once you have a TN? (I mean a couple times to visit during holidays and move my stuff)...

OR once you're in... it's best to stay in to avoid the friendly CBP agents?

Interesting article:

TN Category in the Toilet: INS Severely Restricts Admission of Scientific Technicians and Technologists under the North American Free Trade Agreement

The Immigration and Naturalization Service periodically issues memoranda to their officers, offering guidance on implementation of the law or regulations. Recently, the INS issued a memo providing new criteria on which to evaluate the admissibility of scientific technicians and technologists. The new criteria is so restrictive that very few people who would once have qualified for TN status under this category will qualify in the future. Prior to the issuance of the infamous “Sci. Tech. Memo,” the category was open to a wide range of professionals who, although they did not have degrees, worked in support of higher-level, degreed Engineers. The category was most frequently used by software and hardware technicians, and the criteria for admission were fairly straightforward and simple. Those were the days. Under the new memo, very few people will qualify as Scientific Technicians/Technologists. The memo reiterates the long-standing rule that the Technician must work in support of degreed professionals. In addition, the memo adds the rule that the work of the Technician must be inter-related with that of the supervisory professional. In addition, the Technician must have successfully completed at least two years of training in a relevant educational system. That education must be documented by copies of the appropriate degrees, certificates, diplomas, etc. Perhaps the most restrictive criterion laid out in the memo is that “Scientific Technicians/Technologists cannot be admitted to perform job functions that are primarily associated with other job titles.” While this sounds reasonable, in practice it means that anyone who could possibly fall under another TN category will not be granted TN status as a Technician. For example, Computer Systems Analyst is another TN category that bears some semblance to the Sci. Tech. category. The job of a Computer Systems Analyst is defined by the Dictionary of Occupational Titles, in part, as follows: “…one who analyzes user requirements, procedures, and problems to automate processing or to improve existing computer systems; confers with personnel of organizational units involved to analyze current operational procedures, identify problems, and learn specific input and output requirements, such as forms of data input, how data is to be summarized, and formats for reports. They write detailed descriptions of user needs, program functions, and steps required to develop or modify computer programs. The review computer system capabilities, workflow, and scheduling limitations to determine if requested program or program change is possible within existing system. The study existing information processing systems to evaluate effectiveness and develops new systems to improve production or workflow as required.” 3
A great deal of overlap exists between the TN categories of Computer Systems Analyst and Software Engineering Technician. But under the new memo, when it is unclear whether a person would better fit as a Technician or as a Computer Systems Analyst, the Scientific Technician/Technologist category cannot be used. And the Computer Systems Analyst category, unlike the Scientific Technician/Technologist category, requires the applicant to have a Bachelor’s Degree. The last, but certainly not the least, criterion established by the Sci Tech memo is that no one engaged in the construction trades (welders, boiler makers, carpenters, electricians, etc.) is admissible as a Scientific Technician/Technologist. As far as we know, no TN’s have been revoked from current Technicians. However, unless Technicians qualify under the new regulations, they will not be issued new TN’s when their current status expires. Anyone who will be affected by this change in INS policy should contact his or her attorney immediately.

http://www.usvisahelp.com/nw/Volume 2, Issue 1.pdf