Practical Training

wudan

Registered Users (C)
hi folks,

If someone has finished studies (m.s.) and obtained OPT (optional practical training), can (s)he go outside the country and come back without any problem? Should (s)he get a job (on PT) before travelling?
Is the signature on I-20 still required?
Would there be any problem at the port of entry?

-wudan

I\'m also almost in the same category....except

I\'m also almost in the same category....except that i\'m going to finish my course in a month and I\'ve applied for PT just now. It will take another 90 days for me to go get the card directly. Now after i finish the course can i go to my country and come back?. What docs should i take?.
Is it enough to show the PT receipt with the I-20 at the port of entry or should i have the card?..
Guys who have faced similar problems please help..

You can travel outside the US once you get your OPT card and you have NOT filed your H-1

. There could be a problem if you leave country while on OPT and
your H-1 is pending with INS.
. Also it\'s not safe to leave country when your OPT is in process
and you don\'t have your card while you enter back in united
states.

OPT to F1... Time running out

I am currently on my OPT (I graduated in September 2001) which expires in Sept 2002. I got a job recently and the company is yet to (have started filing) for for H1-B. I want to know:
1. Usually how long does it take to get an H1-B?
2. If it gets delayed, pending from INS. What are my options? Do I have to leave the country and come back? Is it valid information that I can work (and am in status) pending approval of the H1-B application.
3. Am I out of status if I overstay my OPT period even if the application for H1-B is with INS during that time.
Please advice!!