Postgraduate study for pending asylum applicant holding EAD card

Persian37

Registered Users (C)
I am an asylum applicant, and my application has been pending for more than 200 days.

I applied for EAD, and received my Employment Authorization Document.

Prior to my application for asylum, I was holding F2 status. I have been admitted to purse my postgraduate studies, but my university is refusing to admit me into the program on the ground that I am still holding F2 status!

They argue that although I am allowed to work in the U.S, I am not allowed to study with my EAD, and I am still considered an F2 visa holder! Therefore they are unable to admit me to the program unless I receive my final approval for asylum application, which we all know might take even years. I think their argument is absurd and against the law. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with legal proof that asylum applicants who hold an EAD are allowed to study within the U.S.

I am an asylum applicant, and my application has been pending for more than 200 days.

I applied for EAD, and received my Employment Authorization Document.

Prior to my application for asylum, I was holding F2 status. I have been admitted to purse my postgraduate studies, but my university is refusing to admit me into the program on the ground that I am still holding F2 status!

They argue that although I am allowed to work in the U.S, I am not allowed to study with my EAD, and I am still considered an F2 visa holder! Therefore they are unable to admit me to the program unless I receive my final approval for asylum application, which we all know might take even years. I think their argument is absurd and against the law. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with legal proof that asylum applicants who hold an EAD are allowed to study within the U.S.

Dear Persian,

I have read similar threads with your experience , Your current status is not F2 status its Asylum Status

Asylum applicants are not restricted not to study but you should probably hire an experienced immigration attorney to write a brief outlining the issue. The university is not absurd they are following the law they just do not want to get into any trouble especially if they receive any kind of government funding or grants. If they feel safe, they will allow you to study

Dear Persian,

I have read similar threads with your experience , Your current status is not F2 status its Asylum Status

Asylum applicants are not restricted not to study but you should probably hire an experienced immigration attorney to write a brief outlining the issue. The university is not absurd they are following the law they just do not want to get into any trouble especially if they receive any kind of government funding or grants. If they feel safe, they will allow you to study

Thanks for your input Double. I do have an attorney and she wrote them a letter explaining my situation. But the school doesn't seem to care, and they insist that my current status will be F2 until I receive a final approval for my asylum application. I am looking for a legal proof, and asked my attorney to look for that too, to prove them that I am no longer in F2 status.