Possession of a controlled substance in Canada vs permanent residency in US

Steven Teng

Hello everyone,

I need some legal insight into this matter.

I am a Canadian Citizen. I was charged with possession of a controlled substance back in 2012 and 2014 in Canada. I was discharged for both times. Times have passed and I have moved on from that old me. I met an amazing woman overseas and we have been dating for over a year and a half now. She is in the US so we are doing long distance at the moment. I really want to take our relationship to the next step but I want to understand if there are any restrictions due to the criminal history. I thought I was going to have issues even entering the US initially but I actually visited the US last month and went to a lovely wedding with her.

I want to know, what are the possibilities of me getting approved for permanent residency in the US if we get married. What are the issues I may face? Who would I contact to find out about this information?

Any help would be seriously appreciated!

Sincerely,

aguywhowantstofollowhisheart

The charges may need to be disclosed on the ds260 form about 6 months after your USC wife begins the i-130 petition. This may come up at the interview too.

I'm not a lawyer, but I suppose if you've already paid your dues to society so to speak, I don't see this being a roadblock for US permanent residency. Legal minds may chime in further.