Port of Entry Questions

immbie

Registered Users (C)
When my mom arrived in Seattle POE, they said the I-94 is no longer being used. So we don't have that arrival/departure record to use. So we proceeded to the passport controller, he asked how many days my mom will be visiting me, I said 65 days. Then he asked if we were going to canada, I am not sure why. Then he stamped my mom's passport. The top says the date she entered US, then underneath it has Sept 22, 2014. I don't know what that sept 22, 2014 means. Does that means she can stay in the US until sept 22? Not that she wants to stay that long, but we want to make ourselves flexible as well when it comes to planning and her traveling to see relatives.

Her visa will be expiring in June 11, 2014. Under entries, it says "2" - the officer drew a line from that number 2 to that sept 22, 2014. What does that mean?

99% of the time as a visitor she will not need to print out the I-94. That's the whole point of getting rid of paper I-94s. The date beneath the stamp is when her I-94 expires.

Just to be super sure. Although her visa is going to expire, she can stay here in the US until sept 22 without any issues, correct? We originally planned for 2 months, now that they give us 6 months, if she enjoys visiting US, can we change the itinerary and stays up to say 3-4 months? It will be a long time before she comes back here again.

When she leaves the US, do they stamp her passport again or how do they know if she is NOT over-staying?

Just to be super sure. Although her visa is going to expire, she can stay here in the US until sept 22 without any issues, correct? We originally planned for 2 months, now that they give us 6 months, if she enjoys visiting US, can we change the itinerary and stays up to say 3-4 months? It will be a long time before she comes back here again.

When she leaves the US, do they stamp her passport again or how do they know if she is NOT over-staying?

Expiration date of visa is NOT the defining date for stay in US, it is only specified the date range in which a visa holder shows up at a US immigration port to seek admission.

Your mom is allowed to stay in US until Sept 2014. No questions asked.

When she leaves, there is no stamp in her passport, the Airline will inform Immigration about her departure.

Expiration date of visa is NOT the defining date for stay in US, it is only specified the date range in which a visa holder shows up at a US immigration port to seek admission.

Your mom is allowed to stay in US until Sept 2014. No questions asked.

When she leaves, there is no stamp in her passport, the Airline will inform Immigration about her departure.

Very helpful ! Thank you. We'll see if she enjoys staying here over 2 months or not.

One more question - if she stays more than 2 months, will it affect her visa application later on when she applies to come visit again? and will it affect her green card application if I were to petition her to live here later on? On the visa application, we only put 3 weeks, but I begged her to come stay longer as I want her to be here with my family.

No, it won't. At a future interview if they ask her why she stayed longer, she can say that she changed her mind because she was given 6 months.