Poll: When did you first arrive in the US?

When did you first arrive in the US?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
11/21/02 = Entered the US on K-1
10/15/03 = CPR granted
10/05/05 = LPR granted
11/21/06 = US citizenship conferred

It took me exactly 4 years (to the day) to become a citizen from the day I moved to the US to live with my wife.

Well I was on a TN for 6 or 7 years, then I met my wife. So since getting married it only took me 3.5 years since our wedding day to Oath ceremony, though I've been living in the US for 6 or 7 years prior, just not as a permenant resident...

I guess the question is "When did you first arrive in the US with the intent to reside in the US?" It was in 1998.

I first came to the US as a visitor in 1990 and visited numerous times since then before applying for a K-1 and getting married in the US.

Dude,

First off... this is not my poll.

Second, why do you feel the need to qualify this poll with some discussion about how many legal residents there are here and point out that this discussion forum is a limited subset? I mean why state the obvious.

Third, who said anything about this poll being an accurate reflection of the whole population?

Fourth, and again I repeat point number 1, this is not my poll, however, why do you feel the need to make such arrogant and condescending comments like "this poll is biased by the fact that you have to have a computer and then find this forum."?

Fifth, my comments were " I would have expected much older dates", perhaps you should have asked me why I made that comment instead of "assuming" the dribble you stated, for as the saying goes, when you "assume", you make an "ass" out of "u" and "me".

To clarify my comments, guess what, I've already realized this is a limited forum of people who have come here mostly on an employment basis and to a lesser extent marriage and then even lesser diversity.

My comments are based on some historical fact, i.e. the long processing times in the late 90's, early 2000's with priority dates and how long it took people to get their green cards then add 5 years to that. My rationale is that if you minus 2007 with the 5 years, then 1-3 years waiting for GC approval and maybe 1-3 years of being here on H1 or L1, then I had anticipated the dates would be 95, 96, 97.

Sixth, I don't know what the person was thinking with the poll, however let's "assume" by the tone and content, it sounds like he/she was just curious and having a little fun. I don't think the intent was to conduct a scientifically correct poll. After all this is a forum for an interchange of ideas... not arrogance.

Finally, lighten up and stop trying to prove something, there was a person here a while back that felt the need to comment and correct every post from an arogant position. The whole forum got tired of him and eventually got rid of this person JoeF.

Came here in 1997, could have applied for citizenship in Feb 2006 but did not.

So time to citizenship would be 9 years in my case had I applied as soon as I became eligible.

There are many who were eligible earlier, but kept waiting and did not apply -then suddenly saw the fee change and applied. Hence the big rush in July 2007.

There are many who were eligible earlier, but kept waiting and did not apply -then suddenly saw the fee change and applied. Hence the big rush in July 2007.

The fee hike created and incentive & a deadline for people to apply. The surge in applications would have happened anyway because a lot of people became permanent residents back in 2001-2002 following the Dot-com boom. I remember the H1B quota back then was as high as 210,000.

good point, i had completely forgotten about how they tripled the quota on H1B's at that time that combined with the fee hike will create the double whammy of a flood of applications.:eek: :eek: