Pls Help... Job Change after 485 Approval....

sns_luck

Registered Users (C)
Pls Help... Job Change immediately after 485 Approval....

Hello Guys!

How soon can one change job after 485 approval?
My contracting assignment with my client got over last week & I have a good permanent job offer with my client which they expect me to start asap.

My 485 was just approved last week and if i have to go ahead, i need to join my client and take up this permanent offer(since no more contracting positions available with client).

I know ideally one should stay with the previous employer(GC sponsoring employer) for atleast 3 months, since GC is for future employment, but i don't think I would be able to do that, unless i don't take up this offer, which is unfavourable.

My current employer will try to harass me if and when i resign?
What all can the employer do to screw me or my case after 485 approval? I mean any legal issues/action...

I will probably take up this offer and need to know what and how should i be prepared, because my current employer can take some legal action against me? Please Help...

Do i need to consult an attorney for this?

All Gurus, Please Suggest.
ar88, please help...

Thanks
sns_luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is up to you to decide when to change the jobs after getting GC. Usually 6 months-1 year is considered to be a safe period, to avoid problems when we go for citizenship. And also it is always better to leave the GC sponsored employer in good terms.

Do you have any written agreement with the sponsored employer to work for specific period after getting GC?

Thanks, ar888

Thanks, ar888

I DO NOT have any written agreement with my employer that i should stay with them for x years/months after i get my green card. I have already been with them for 4 years now.

so can i hope to be safe on that front?

any other issues you think of, pls guide...

Thanks

In my opinion, it is always better to talk to your current employer before leaving him, so that he'll not create any problems for you.

This is not to scare you, but there is always a chance for your employer to complain USCIS that you are no longer working for him after GC, as the GC is approved based on his 140 petition. (And this is the reason, 6 months-1Year is a safe period). In the changed scenario, we can not take any thing for granted as far as USCIS is concerned.

It has been about 3 months on my approval.... no plastic card yet.
I dont know of any "legal period" that you can leave your current employer after approval..... but I am sure you should wait at least until you get your card.... you wouldnt belive me.... they (USBCIS)called me at work to let me know that the card will be ordered soon.... I am sure that it was more like a check that I am still with the same company.... Any one know how long is that magic "Legal Period" .... please let us know...
thx