Please share dependent/derivative interview experience in local INS

pavan Kumar

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

Please share derivative/dependent interview experience in local INS.
What are the documents one has to take for the interview.
Is it must that main applicant still be working and carry most recent pay stubs.

Please share the details.

Thanks

Here are my details:

Derivative applicant to my husband's application. He got his GC in May while I was transferred to the Baltimore office for interview in April because of FP issues. Through mixup at INS, I didn't get interviewed till 9/10.

I brought all the original documents supporting the papers filed with the I-485 (marriage certificate, birth certificates for both of us, passport(s) including expired ones from when I first entered the US, etc.) Now note that we had a "twist" in our situation--last August, 3 months after he got his GC, my husband had switched employers. I had two letters with me---one from his former employer confirming his dates of employment and another from his current one. I also had his last 6 paystubs from the old employer and the current one from the new one.

As it happens, the only things my interviewer asked to see were the marriage certificate and my birth certificate and passports. Only at the very end did he casually ask if my husband was still with the original employer and I honestly answered that he very recently changed. The IIO just shrugged and said "Okay" and didn't ask to see anything on paper.

I did not get my PP stamp because I needed to get police clearance due to my FP problems. But the IIO told me that was the only reason why he is not stamping the PP.

I am still waiting at this point.

Of course the documents that are "required" kind of varies from interviewer to interviewer. But I think it would be safe to bring all original documentation supporting papers filed with I-485 and employment paperwork (I am assuming your primary, like mine, is an employment-based application).

Thank you for the reply.
Information you provided is really useful to me.

Case is Employmnet based. In the interview letter, they asked to bring all the original docs, I-94 and passport.
I was wondering what would then mean by all original docs.
Do you suggest what else I should be carrying besides what you said in the reply.
Any tips/suggestions for the interview.

Thank you.

All I can add in terms of documents are other financial things like copies of tax returns for the last three years for both of us (both as a financial record and as further proof that our marriage is real) and bank statements. I also brought the title to our house (in both our names) and for our vehicles (again, just to show we have joint ownership of "big" items).

But the most important are probably the birth and marriage certificates as well as passport(s) and I-94. The IIO also asked to see my EAD but didn't take it (as I mentioned, he took away the I-94 and cautioned me at least 3x during the interview that I should not leave the country until I hear back from them).

As always, it sort of depends on the IIO as to what exactly he/she wants to see. I do have to say that in my case, the IIO was running behind schedule (and they do tend to be a little more prompt in Baltimore compared to other local centers) so I think he was in a little bit of a hurry during my interview. If he had all the time in the world, I don't know if he would have asked me for anything else.....

Good luck!!