My question is whether I will have a problem if I were
to go for visa stamping at a consulate in india (my h1
has only a first name while my passport has both first
and last names)

also is it possible to amend the h1-b petition for the
name change?

thanks

Backup paperwork

Extension stamping can be done here too.
Make sure you send the name change paperwork copies along with your extension stamping.

H1B extension

Best is to get your extension done in the US itself, by mailing your docs to State dept. in St. Louis. It took 6 weeks for my visa revalidation. I applied on aug 30 th and got the stamping back on oct 11 th. We are hearing rumours about processing times being increased in consulates/embassies overseas. Why take a chance unnecassarily when you have an option of doing it within the States. One caveat is that you should be without your documents (passport + H1B papers) for more than a month - but in case of emergency where you need to travel outside the country, the state dept. sends you back the documents the very next working day (of course without doing the stamping). Hope this info. helps.

Murali , any idea if the State dept is still processing revalidation in 6 weeks ?

I sent my visa for revalidation to the State dept on Sep 25th. So I am now in the 6th week of waiting. Heard rumors that it may take much longer now. I hope i get it by Nov first week.