Please confirm I could likely be OK to get citizenship in 5 years

marlon2006

Registered Users (C)
. Myself and wife got greencard 3 years ago. We've lived here in the US 100% physically in the US all the time for 3 years after greencard, I am a homeowner, etc.

2. Let's say tomorrow I get a job in Fortune 50 American company with big branch in country of origin. Let's say I apply and get the job via HR from branch in country of origin. That said, I am assuming that American company would not get involved issuing paperwork to let me continue naturalization. However, I imagine obviously HR could easily issue an employment verification letter and that should make it obvious company is American and job description clearly states I need to travel to the USA.

3. According to job description, such work involves constant travel (50% travel) to the US to country of origin back and forth. I imagine that even if it happens that company does not send me here constantly for whatever reason, I could take wife with me and come every 5 months or so. If necessary, I could keep my house here rented to show that I have intention to get citizenship in the US what is the case.

Given the above, it seems I could expect be eligible to apply for citizenship to me and wife in 2 years from now, right? (total of 5 years since I got greencard).

"...
If the LPR is granted extended absence benefits, the LPR will be able to satisfy the 3-year/5-year continuous residence requirement for naturalization even while outside of the U.S. However, the LPR must still meet the actual physical presence requirement of being physical present in the U.S. for ½ the required period (2 ½ / 1 ½). The only exception to the physical present requirement is for the LPR who is employed abroad under contract with the U.S. government, where the LPR’s time spent abroad is counted towards the physical presence requirement.
..."

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you get an approved N-470 for the company you're working for, it's unlikely you'll get approved for naturalization by spending just 1 month a year in the US for the last 2 years before applying (i.e. visiting the US once every 5 months).

Jackolantern has nailed the issue. Your key to success is tied to getting an N-470 approved before you take up the overseas assignment.

Given the above, it seems I could expect be eligible to apply for citizenship to me and wife in 2 years from now, right? (total of 5 years since I got greencard).

Ok from reading the N-470 description form, I see the American company would need to issue a letter/affidavit stating my employment. So in my case I would get the job directly with the branch overseas. Well, it is still the same American company and they need me there so I hope that should be enough to satisfy the requirements. From what I see there is no such thing as my salary needs to be issued here in America, etc as some people in threads wanted to portray.

Jackolantern has nailed the issue. Your key to success is tied to getting an N-470 approved before you take up the overseas assignment.

Last edited by a moderator: