please advise regarding special registration

Umair Gauhar

Registered Users (C)
I am from Pakistan and have to appear for special registration. I filed for a spouse based I-485 in February 2002 at TSC. I came to America on a B2 visa and applied for extension of stay but just before I was planning to get married and file for my I-485 I got a letter from the INS saying that they had denied my request for extension. I filed my application for permanent residency anyway. When I filed the case I was about 3 weeks out of status. Now, I am still waiting for my FP notice and my interview notice for my GC. I have a valid EAD, SSN and a receipt/case number. I am working in the US on a work permit and have all the necessary documents required to prove my case.
My question is:

Will this cause a problem when I go for special registration.

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me sound advice.

Salam

I don't think you should worry about it. I also have to report for this speical registration. The only thing you need to worry about it TO MAKE SURE that you get a receipt for your pending I-485. On Murthy.com they claimed that INS were given memo's (from head office I guess) that they were not to refer people to investigations if they have a pending I-485.

thanks and more

Thanks for the reply. I checked the website that you have mentioned. There is one thing that I could not understand. I filed both I-130 and I-485 together and the only notice that I got from the INS (except for the notice for EAD) was a letter saying that they have recieved my application. On it was my A number and a mention of the timelines for the processing of my EAD/I-485 applications. Beneath it they said that they I should not contact the INs office unless I change my address or the above mentioned timelines have passed. Is this the receipt you are talking about or is that something else. If that is not the receipt, how can I get that.
Also I want to know if the A number is the same as immigration visa number.
I'll be waiting for your reply.

Re: thanks and more

Originally posted by Willy Marker
Thanks for the reply. I checked the website that you have mentioned. There is one thing that I could not understand. I filed both I-130 and I-485 together and the only notice that I got from the INS (except for the notice for EAD) was a letter saying that they have recieved my application. On it was my A number and a mention of the timelines for the processing of my EAD/I-485 applications. Beneath it they said that they I should not contact the INs office unless I change my address or the above mentioned timelines have passed. Is this the receipt you are talking about or is that something else. If that is not the receipt, how can I get that.
Also I want to know if the A number is the same as immigration visa number.
I'll be waiting for your reply.

Hm... not sure that is the right receipt. On top of the I-485 it should say Notice of Action, and it includes receipt number, case type, recieved date, applicant, and other boxes of info. The first lines say "The above applications or petitions have been recieved. It usually takes 975 to 999 days from the date...". When did you file your I-485 (I filed mine 9/08/02 and had the receipt by 9/19). I actually didn't have the receipt until way later because if you filed using an attorney or lawyer, the papers are automatically sent to them. Ask them if they could fax you the I-485 receipts and all other INS paperwork that would show that you are trying to become legal. --> Make sure to bring them to the registration, bring everysingle paper possible. There is a very nice guideline of what to bring on www.pakistan-embassy.com

As for your A question I'm not sure by what you mean. The A number should be the same # in your I-94 (your passport thinge).
Question when did you file for your I-485?

Salam. ;)

I filed my I-485 on 2/18/02. I did file through an attorney and all the letters that I have from the INS, I got them through my attorney. do you think by now he would have gotten that receipt. Actually with the letter that I mentioned in my last post there is a reciept like thing that shows all the applications that I sent alongwith their respective filing fees. Does that make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you KIDDING??? You got a good sense of humor.. I wouldn't be surprised if you got your green cards in a few months. But still that is way too late for registration purposes.

The attorney should have got the receipt MONTHS earlier. Ask him for it. Bring EVERY SINGLE piece of document pertaining to INS (including fees) for registration. Once again check out www.pakistan-embassy.com for more info on what to bring (click on the guidelines link).

Good Luck,
Once again. I filed it 9/13/02 and my attorney had the receipt by 9/19/02. My receipt number is wac-02-280-51***. Use the online INS case status checker to check which final step your I-485 is currently under.

i don't know if this might explain...

... the difference in the receipt notices. As i understand it, you applied for family-based immigration, so you would possibly have filed your I-130 and I-485 in a local INS office, rather than a regional center like Nebraska, Texas, Vermont or California. In this case, the local center might have just given you receipt for the fees you paid for whichever cases you filed, instead of a proper receipt notice on form I-797 Notice of Action like the regional centers do.

I am going by what i saw in my mother's case, which was filed by my u.s. citizen sister in a local INS office. in that case, the "receipt notice" was just a 3 inches-wide printout from - believe it or not - a cash register! it just listed I-130, I-485, I-765 etc. in the merchandise column, and the fee in the price column. it did have an A#, which we assumed to be her alien number. This was quite different from my case, which was employment based, and is being processed (or frozen!) at Nebraska.

The point i am trying to get accross is, these INS centers all go their own ways in doing the same things. In case you go to register at the same local office where your 130/485 were filed, you might be ok. However, it is a good idea, and i would highly recommend it in your case, to consult a lawyer.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Yes, I filed my case at Atlanta Local office. I got exactly the same receipt that you have described. It looks like something out of a cash register. It has my name,date , all the applications I sent and their fees and my A#. I did ask my lawyer and he said that this is all I have and all I need. I hope he is right.

Willy, did you go for your SR interview?

If yes, post your experience....
if you are planning to go, best of luck!!

No I did not go for SR yet. I'll go next week. But I talked to a lot of lawyers about my situation. Most of them said that the situation for Pakistanis is not that bad. Anyone who is currently in status, has not been out of status for too long, has no criminal charges against him or has a pending I-485 is not being referred to investigations.
I'll post my experience when I go next week (provided I come back safe and sound);)

My SR experience at Atlanta Local Office

DATED 2/18/03

I went to the INS office around 7:15 in the morning because I had to meet my lawyer there at around 8. There were'nt too many people for SR. At around 9:30 after meeting and discussing my case thouroughly with my lawyer I went in to hand over my passport, I-94 and fill out the form. After that I want sent to another room where there were about 15 people already waiting to be called up. There were three INS officers on that day taking interviews for SR. Many people had come there with their lawyers.
Around 12, my name was called and I went in with my lawyer. First she asked me to hand over my Driver's licence, credit card and EAD. Then she swore me in and asked me the following questions:

"what is your father's age?"
"what is your mother's age?"
"was your father born in India or Pakistan?"
"what country/city/province were you born in?"
"Did you live with your parents in Pakistan?"
"when did you move to your present address?"
"What is your present employer's name and address?"
After that she took my picture, finger printed my right and left index fingers and wrote down my FIN# on my passport and on my I-94.

While I was there, I saw atleast three people (all from Pakistan) being referred to investigations and subsequesntly getting detained.

Godd luck to all of you.

245(i)+I-485 Pending+Registration

I've over stayed my F-1, but took advantage of 245(i) before April 30, 2001. Now I have the following:

Labor Cert.
I-140 Approved.
EAC valid until Sep 2003
I-485 FP Done Oct 2002
I-485 Pending (Receipt Date Aug 2002)

Any ideas on my situation guys?