please advise, its urgent

csch1wait

Registered Users (C)
HI,
I have my oath scheduled on Sep 3rd at Durham DO. I have an international trip coming up on Sep 12th. What should I do. SHould I request to reschedule my Oath or Should I go for my Oath and hope to get my US passport on the same day by going to D.C.

Also, mine is a name change case and the Oath has to be in front of the judge. ANy idea when such ceremony will be next at Durham DO if I request to reschedule.

Thanks

Your oath is sceduled for Sep 3rd and you have to travel on Sep 12. Why do you wanna change the oath date? I mean, you should be able to get Nat Certificate right after you take oath (on Sep 3rd) in front of the Judge right? If that is the case then you can get urgent passport within 24-48 hours by showing proof of you travel. This is my opinion and i could be wrong.

I think the basic bottleneck is how long does it take to get visa (if required) for your old country. With oath on Sep 3rd, you will be able to get passport on Sep 7th with a same day service at a passport agency (giving time for weekend and labor day). You then have 3-4 days to get visa. If that does not work, you have no option but to either reschedule oath or travel.

Schedule an appointment at the closest passport office (no post office, but department of state passport agency) you should be able to get your passport on the same day or next day. No need to reschedule oath, but you will have to travel to the passport agency and I don't know where is the closest one to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in Raleigh/Durham and the closest passport agency is in Washington, D.C. I am actually going to Europe on a business trip and I would need to get Visa for that country if I do not become US Citizen prior to travel.

Also because of name change, I am wondering if I could run into issue completing the whole process and even if I do, i will not have enough time to update my name everywhere else before the travel. Would that be an issue?

Complexities I can think of ... I assume you can travel on US passport without visa, but require visa on old passport if still not a citizen

A) Oath gets delayed. Contingency ... get a visa even though it is wasted effort.
B) Not enough time to change name in all documents. Does it matter? Your passport will take you to Europe, your credit cards will still work. If you need to drive, your name may not match, but it is a question of showing the DL along with name change ... it is an issue but you can talk to the car rental beforehand and see what they can do.
C) Airline ticket. So you book tickets with new name or old? What if you book with new name, and oath does not happen? Talk to the airline.

What else do you think you can run into? Most of the above relate to documents being out of sync during the transition period ... see what you will need to use in Europe and that should give you the answers.

When you travel, the name on the passport is what matters. Your passport will be issued on the new name. You just need to make sure that the name on the plane tickets matches the name on the passport.

I still think you have enough time to get the US passport if you go to the passport agency.

You won't probably have time to change name in everything else (credit cards, bills, things like that). However, this shouldn't impact your trip. Your driver's license will probably still have your old name and you can probably use that with any credit card that has the old name.