Planning for naturalization with dismissed citation.

Pizarro

Registered Users (C)
Hi!

I came to the US in August 2012 on a L1 Visa (Managerial Visa) valid for 3 years. As soon as I got here I applied for a driver license for the same duration. A year and half later approximately I became permanent resident because the company I work for sponsored me. My wife and my back then 1 year son also became permanent residents.

After receiving our Green Cards my wife and I forgot that we had to renew our driver licenses to a 10 year duration ones, so we continued driving with the 3 year one without noticing. In August 2015 I was victim of an accident on road while driving home, I was rear hit by a pick up truck that destroyed my trunk and almost killed me. When the police officer checked our respective driver licenses he found that mine was expired for 4 days, so he gave me a citation. I renewed the driver license immediately the next day first thing in the morning (my wife too), and when I went to court, my case was dismissed (I only had to pay the court fees, $80).

My current problem is that this November I will be eligible for naturalization, and I'm concerned that the dismissal which I assume appears in my criminal record, will affect the immigration officer decision on my eligibility for naturalization (obviously I will disclose). I have no other criminal offenses or traffic tickets or whatsoever, as a matter of fact my DMV record is showing +3 safe points.., I pay all my taxes and I just focus on my job, family and home. Also I'm still working for the same employer that I was granted the L1 for and that later sponsored me for the GC (I hold a Director position).

Will this make a big impact in the immigration officer's decision?
Should I hire a lawyer?
What do you recommend me to do?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I can assure u it will not
Fill out your application. List the citation on the application and you"ll be fine
have a copy of the accident report send it in with ur application if it will put ur mind at ease with a separate sheet explaining the same way you explained here
And walk with a copy of it to ur interview just in case to show the IO if need be to show what ur saying is true. I doubt it's that serious tho