PIO fees increased!

second stage

Registered Users (C)
CGI just posted a new fee structure for PIO and the fee has increased for adults and minors..

Fee Schedule for PIO Card Scheme

For Minors $ 185
For Adults $ 365

http://www.cgihouston.org/fee_structure.html

I only hope the service provided improves along with this fee increase...I don't see any reason posted on the website for fee increase...arbitrary perhaps to stem the flow of new applications? or just another mode to increase revenue without any substantial increase in service provided...

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if they will increase the fees for OCI as well. I cannot figure out why PIO is so much more expensive than OCI (which offers advantages over PIO).

-KM

Could this increase be just to correct the changing $ rate? After all the US embassies in India used to change their fees to match the exchange rate.

Could this increase be just to correct the changing $ rate? After all the US embassies in India used to change their fees to match the exchange rate.

Could be....but they haven't lowered the the fees($ amount) when rupee was depreciating few years ago...

Isn't this normal for India ? Prices go up but never down.

For example, price of gasoline or petrol has always gone up, when the international price of gasoline goes down the price holds steady in India, when it goes up it goes up in India.

It's kinda like the ratchet mechanism in bycycles..one way only.

For example, price of gasoline or petrol has always gone up, when the international price of gasoline goes down the price holds steady in India, when it goes up it goes up in India.

Gasoline in India is generally subsidized and is NOT subjected to market prices...that's why it goes up only when prices go up...

I think you may have to come up with another example!

I just filed for both my daughters with the old fee?????

I just sent for my both daughters PIO last week and it was received by Houston on Sep 17th and the website says the new fee structure is effective Sep 17th. Would they return my application or since I mailed it before Sep 17th will they honor the old fee structure?

?????????????????????

Thank you
sailakfan

How is it subsidised when it's more expensive than in the US ?

I pay approx $2.5/gallon, in India it's $3.9 a gallon (after doing the appropriate conversions).

Gasoline in India is generally subsidized and is NOT subjected to market prices...that's why it goes up only when prices go up...

I think you may have to come up with another example!

There is no subsidy on gas, infact the Gov sets the price of gas and keeps it at market rates and typically gas costs $4-5/gal in Europe too. There is no price cut because the Govt wants to control usage also. I think kerosene had subsidies and was rationed, it was a benefit for the low income people.

Sail, wait and see. I think they will accept the mail or they can always ask you a for check for the fee difference. They rarely reject anything.

US has lot more subsidies than other countries...the more wealthy the country the higher the subsidies it can afford but that doesn't mean it will...Ex: most European countries can afford to subsidize but they don't.....can you imagine what happens when a developing country tries to subsidize??

Just google on this topic and you'll find variety of opinions and you can form your own conclusion..

http://www.kshitij.com/research/petrol.shtml

Anyway we are digressing from the topic..I just wanted to point out to everyone on the board that fee(s) has increased..an FYI...

I just sent for my both daughters PIO last week and it was received by Houston on Sep 17th and the website says the new fee structure is effective Sep 17th. Would they return my application or since I mailed it before Sep 17th will they honor the old fee structure? I kept calling today and nobody would answer and no response for my email either.

?????????????????????

Thank you
sailakfan

PIO fees increased at SFO

Indian consulate in San Francisco charges more than other consulates for PIO card.
For Minors $ 185
For Adults $ 370 (other US consulates & embassy charge $365)

San Francisco revised their fees on August 29th while other consultes/embassy in USA revised it only on September 17th.

My understanding is that the fee for PIO is set as Rs.15000/- while fees for VISAs and OCI are set in US Dollars. So we can expect PIO fees to vary according to the exchange rate, while VISA/OCI fees remain steady in US$ terms.... and today we have the situation where the OCI with lifelong validity is costing lot less than the PIO card with 15 year validity.

I just sent for my both daughters PIO last week and it was received by Houston on Sep 17th and the website says the new fee structure is effective Sep 17th. Would they return my application or since I mailed it before Sep 17th will they honor the old fee structure? I kept calling today and nobody would answer and no response for my email either.

?????????????????????

Thank you
sailakfan

I got the PIO card applications returned after a week by the San Francisco consulate.

I got the PIO card applications returned after a week by the San Francisco consulate.

Jim,

I too received a letter asking me to send the difference. I called and asked a lady for an explanation since I have mailed it before they posted it on the website and she could not answer. I said forget it and send the difference back. Good luck.