Physical Therapist from India

anandphysio

Hi,
Please note that I am a Physical Therapist, currently in India, with a Masters degree, with over 3 years of experience. I had already got VisaScreen certificate from CGFNS and got my educational credentials evaluated by ICD. An employer from US was interested in my candidature and was willing to sponsor for my H1B visa. I was told by one of my friends that for me to be eligible for H1B visa, I need to have a license from one of the US states. Is it true :confused:

After seeing some of the posts in this forum, it looks that I may be eligible for applying for Green Card also. Can some one appraise me of the requirements to be eligible for applying for Green Card, as I am still in India.

Thanks for your response in advance.
- anandphysio

True. You must have a valid license.

You don't need to apply for H1B. You need to apply for AOS through EB3-immigrant visa for a skilled worker. Physical therapists fall under schedule A category, just like nurses.

You must have a job offer from a qualified employer, who's willing to sponsor you.
You will need an attorney too.

Thanks for your prompt response, AnnaRN. I think to get the license from any one of the US states, I think I need to take the NPTE exam. As I am in India, I may not be able to take that exam unless I come to US. For H1B Visa, if I get the 'eligibility letter to take the NPTE exam' from one of the US states, will that be sufficient??? It looks that there is no way for a Physical Therapist in India to come to US directly with a H1B visa, right?

Do you have any idea how long that it would take to come to US, if I follow the 'Green Card path' in stead of 'H1B visa path'?

I'm not sure exactly how and where you could take your test, since I'm a nurse and had to take NCLEX. Do a research, there must be some solution.
Does your school know anything about this test?
I'm sure there is somebody on this forum that can help you. :)

H1B is not a way to go. I don't think they offer it anymore for schedule A workers.

"How long" - seems to be a very difficult question. Nobody knows for sure, but it might take a year, maybe less, maybe more. Everything is up to immigration.
I would think 1 to 2 years.

Thanks, AnnaRN!!!

Could any foreign educated Physical Therapist, who came to US directly either by H1B visa (or) by Green card respond to my queries?

Thanks in advance.
- anandphysio

anandphysio, you can get h1-b from India with visa screen, credential evaluation and most importantly temporary license from any state. can someone post which states are still issuing temp license? I know NY is one of them.

Hi anandphysio... I wanted to know if things worked out for you??
please let me know how did you proceed from india?? did u get ur H1 and then give the exam?

Best Regards.