Physical Presence Test after filing for N400

sjadad4244a

Registered Users (C)
I have heard the conventional wisdom that the physical presence test is done at 3 points in the N400 process
1. At the time of submitting the application
2. At the time of interview
3. At the time of oath
There are several posts on this and other portals that talk about requiring phsically presence for 1/2 the time of the preceding 5 years at each point of the process.

Is there an official USCIS document that states this? I could not find one on their website. Could someone please point me to one if they know of.

The lawyer I consulted did not believe that is indeed the case and suggested that the physical presence is evaluated only at the time of submitting the application and during the process you need to be physically present in the country for 1/2 the time.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS : I did search the posts on this portal before starting this thread.

I think it is only by the time of Submitting the N-400 but don't hold me on this. It might be otherwise. I know some IO want to see your Passport or some document to compare it to the Travel Dates you have written down on your N-400 and if you have more stamps then initially put down there might be some questions ask. I really don't know. I would say it depends on the IO ...

You need to maintain all eligibility criteria right through until you take oath. This isn't spelled out anywhere, but it is how USCIS interprets the natz rules.

Principally however, you really need to pay attention to travel up until the interview, 'cos that when the IO pays most attention to what you've been doing. For example, submitting the N-400 and promptly moving abroad is a pretty good way to get yourself denied for breaking continuous residence.