Photo State ID-Only have non-photo state ID

rlthdkny87

My father is a canadian citizen that came here before 1970 as a minor child at 13 with a B1 visa. He obtained a few other B1 visas afterward and then was at the time able to obtain a NJ State Drivers License & SS. Since then he has not had a visa. He has paid into SS & has the Driver's License only problem is the new laws after 9/11. Now the 6 point system won't allow him to renew his Driver's License that expired in 2004 (without photo) due to need of passport. I am applying him for adjustment of status because that is what I thought I should do for he is here in the US. I am applying through myself i am 23 now but he is my father I was born in U.S. and I am a citizen. I have an approved I-130 form, he qualifies to support himself AOS form W through his tax and ss record, although now for the adjustment of status form I485 we had a biometrics appt in order to process the form. However biometrics requires a state photo id, national photo id, passport or military id. We went and were unsuccessful because his expired license does not have a photo on it. The manager at the office said that even though it is expired that they would have excepted it with his photo for identification but that is not what we have. We have two weeks to go back otherwise have to reschedule an apt. I need to obtain a state issued ID somehow but don't know which state may be easier or how to go about getting one or perhaps I am suppose to go another route such as filing another form. I was looking at I102 never obtained...but was not sure.
I have already invested over $1,500 in this process so any suggestions information help would be greatly appreciated.